PDA

View Full Version : Revit License Releasing..

whf
2006-01-04, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know how to fully release a license for a seat on Revit (besides just borrowing)? I have gotten a new cad machine and want to move my seat off of my old machine. Is this simply a matter of making the license a demo version on the old machine and waiting 24 hours for it to release, and then licensing the new machine? Or is there a file that needs to be copied? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

beegee
2006-01-04, 10:12 PM
You should be able to uninstall Revit from your old machine,( using Control Panel ) then install and license on your new machine.

gbrowne
2006-01-05, 08:45 AM
What is the policy for using Revit on a office PC and use on a seperate Home PC?

Same single user, different location.

Phil Palmer
2006-01-05, 09:47 AM
What is the policy for using Revit on a office PC and use on a seperate Home PC?

Same single user, different location.
You can install a standalone copy of Revit on 2 Machines as long as you dont use them both at the same time. Therefore it is OK for installation on a works PC and also your Home PC.

luigi
2006-01-05, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know how to fully release a license for a seat on Revit (besides just borrowing)? I have gotten a new cad machine and want to move my seat off of my old machine. Is this simply a matter of making the license a demo version on the old machine and waiting 24 hours for it to release, and then licensing the new machine? Or is there a file that needs to be copied? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BillHi, I don't know what you mean by "borrowing" I have exported a license and then imported it...but it isn't borrowing, it is "transferring" Maybe on the original machine it looks like the license is being borrowed, but it is fully imported in the "next computer".

I have done this process a few times...and the "receiving" computer (under PLU) just states "Type: Full, Status: Active, Expiration: Never"

BTW, did Beegee's advice work? Were you able to "Activate" it? If you had this license on one computer only, are you able to activate a second computer? (Like your Laptop or PC at home)...Just curious.

In case you meant something else the process is simple(ignore below if you know the process of exporting/importing licenses),
Just install Revit to the New Machine as a TRIAL

Then, using Portable License Utility (PLU),
1.export your license from the original computer
a. Go to the Computers Tab, Add a new computer (must have the name of the new computer available, and the Identification Code...both can be found running PLU from the "new" computer)
b. Go back to the Licenses Tab, export to the newly added computer to a common location (server, shared folder, or removable disk) to import into the new computer

2. Import your newly exported License to the new computer
a. Click on Import License ( from the PLU)
b. Click on the Use transer file
c. Select the file you previously exported
d. Click on Import

Done...the License if fully residing on your "new" computer

gbrowne
2006-01-05, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the response Phil. Thats pretty much what I thought.

tsbykatherine60220
2006-01-05, 02:33 PM
You can install a standalone copy of Revit on 2 Machines as long as you dont use them both at the same time. Therefore it is OK for installation on a works PC and also your Home PC.
We've got a network version with 6 licenses, do you know if it's possible to install 6 stand alone versions on our home computers without having to use the PLU? It would be very nice but I think I'm dreaming? :roll:

cphubb
2006-01-05, 04:04 PM
We've got a network version with 6 licenses, do you know if it's possible to install 6 stand alone versions on our home computers without having to use the PLU? It would be very nice but I think I'm dreaming? :roll:
RPM,

You cannot move a network license to a computer that is not in touch with your network. If you have VPN or any other way for your home computers to see the license server you can run Revit, or borrow a license. Word of note, if you have a Windows domain network you need to be connect to the domain for the license server to be visible to Revit.

Hope this helps

gibson.tim91884
2006-01-09, 03:44 PM

You're dreaming. So am I. I would love to be able to use the PLU to move a borrowed license from a network version to a stand-alone version so that I can work from home without needing to convince the office to install a VPN. My wife just had a kid, so I'd rather not have to spend any more late nights at the office for a while.

Scott D Davis
2006-01-09, 05:20 PM
It would be cool to use the PLU to check out a license to a flash drive which you could then plug into your home computer to run.

rod.74246
2006-01-10, 08:08 AM
While we are on this subject, may I ask why you guys are all using the network license option? When we were evaluating we couldn;t see the point really. I don;t know if its a number of license thing or what but with 30 stand alone licenses we are fine. PLus we get the benefit of using the PLU. Our staff E-mail there licenses home, put em on flash disks etc. It really makes life a lot easier for everyone. Particularly when a lot of the staff have young children etc and often prefer to work from home if they have sick children or other issues.

Anyway was just wondering why the choice to go with network licenses. We just couldn't see a cost benefit or an ease of use benefit from tat option and am quite keen to see why some of you went that way?

gibson.tim91884
2006-01-10, 04:00 PM
While we are on this subject, may I ask why you guys are all using the network license option?

Simple. We have enough users who don't do cad work full time that we can get by with fewer licenses than cad staff. While we could do this theoretically with stand-alone licences, it's just easier to manage with the network version.

Cost benifit? When we switched to the network version, we were saving 3 Revit seats and 3 ADT seats by accounting for the number of part-time users. By now, we're probably saving 8 seats total or more. We always seem to have old machines kicking around, so the cost of the licence server was negligible - just my time to configure it.

Ease of use? Other than not having the ability to loan a seat to a computer that isn't on the network, it's been great! Installing, new machines are a non-issue, and we can monitor usage to see when we need new seats through the license monitor. We run ADT, Vanilla CAD, and Revit, and we can manage all three easily.

Also, since we're phasing ADT out over the next year or two, we can let some of the staff have ADT and Revit on their machine without chewing up both seats when they're only using one app at a time.

rod.74246
2006-01-11, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the comments Tim. I guess by the sounds of things its something that is more determined by how your office works. You sound like you work a bit differently to us. We maintain a very constant amount of staff and they are individually "all or not at all" as far as CAD software use goes. I can see where it would make sense in your reasoning as well.

Guess where we'd be screwed is if we had to layoff a hole bunch of people (touch wood that never happens)

Simon.Whitbread
2006-01-11, 06:52 PM
We have Revit Series, around 120 users and purchased 65 licenses.

With a five minute timeout on the license, we haven't yet gone over 60 concurrent users of Revit or Autocad.

On the other hand, we would have needed 120 stand-alone licenses.

I wonder what everyone does all day?

kpaxton
2006-01-23, 01:39 PM
It would be cool to use the PLU to check out a license to a flash drive which you could then plug into your home computer to run.
Scott,
Were you referring to 'checking out' from a Network version (as previously mentioned) or the Stand alone license? As stated, you can do just as you suggest on the stand-alone version. I've used my flash drive to transport the key back and forth. The PLU works great (knock on wood).

A side note to using the PLU: IF you forget your license at home (ie. forgot to transfer it back to your flash drive), the Revit Gods were kind enough to allow a short grace period. This allows you to continue to work, get the license that night, and bring it back in the morning. They must know some busy (or forgetful) people too!! [see image]

Personally, I prefer the Standalone versions to the Networking, but I can certainly see in Simon's example of having 60 floating members at any given time. I'm assuming this is the Revit Series w/ Autocad, not the ADT versions of Autocad.

Keep on Reviting!
-Kyle