PDA

View Full Version : DWG not visible when imported??

david.kingham
2006-01-05, 06:39 PM
I'm trying to import a dwg but when I try to bring it in it gives the warning that its not visible in the view....I've tried several different dwgs and they all do the same thing, I've tried different views, same thing, I've tried importing into all views, it shows up nowhere. What the hell is going on?

DanielleAnderson
2006-01-05, 06:51 PM
Would this happen to be a survey drawing where 0,0 is way the heck out there?

david.kingham
2006-01-05, 06:52 PM
Nope lighting plan and I moved it all to 0,0

kpaxton
2006-01-05, 07:04 PM
OK, First things first.

We're assuming that as you're importing the DWG file, you've checked the box "Current View Only" and that you're not linking.

Either way will work - it depends on if your going to want to edit the DWG in the future. If so, use Link instead.
Autodetect your Units
Check the Center-to-Center option when placing the file - you can always move it later.

When a DWG is brought into Revit, there will be a few new dialogs on the upper Options Bar. This will allow you to bring the DWG to the Foreground that you want to see, otherwise it will be hidden behind the model geometry.
Make sure that you type V-V (View Visibilty) and verify that the imported/linked layers and geometry are visible in this viewport. Look under the Imported Categories Tab.

If this was the problem, make sure you update your View Template if you want to apply these settings to other views - or make a new View Template.

Hope this helps,
Kyle

david.kingham
2006-01-06, 01:41 AM
Thanks but I've covered all that allready, everything is turned on in v/g. I'm pretty stumped at this point

sbrown
2006-01-06, 02:42 AM
Have you tried it in another file? Can you post the dwg, someone in another thread found some bug with adt objects, you might want to try to explode any blocks in the dwg.

Chad Smith
2006-01-06, 04:22 AM
Try setting the View Depth in View Range to Unlimited. I've had a similar problem a few time before.

Steve_Stafford
2006-01-06, 05:10 AM
Assuming the view range suggestion doesn't fix it, are you using worksets? Is the workset visible in the view? This is a frequent problem on workset projects, forgetting to set the active workset to one that you really want and importing onto one that is off.

or...If the project came from Building Systems or ADT they need to save the file with variable "proxygraphics" on (set to 1) and then give you the file. If proxygraphics isn't on then AutoCAD/ADT doesn't save the information that Revit needs to display objects.

David Haynes
2006-01-06, 06:16 PM
Are you trying to insert a lighting plan (done in AutoCAD) into a reflected ceiling view? I have had this problem before. Try importing the dwg into a floor plan view - just a thought.

jamie.casile80054
2006-01-11, 01:56 AM
just curious, we are trying to import a dwg to a detail view. will that work? can dwgs only be imported to plan sheets?
-jamie

sjsl
2006-01-11, 02:08 AM
You can import details into drafting views as well as elevations, plans etc. Not sure why you are having a problem. I have a problem importing a dwg title into a new revit title sheet. It usually does not let me.

Scott D Davis
2006-01-11, 02:08 AM
You can import a DWG into a drafting view. Don't think you can bring one into a "detail" view tho.

rod.74246
2006-01-11, 08:31 AM
You can import your ACAD details into your detail views or is it drafting views? One of the works.

In relation to the ACAD drawing, double check the cut plane of the view. I may be wrong here cause i can't check this out, but i have a feeling that the dwg file may be set to a specific point in space or level out of whack with the ceiling plan. For instance did you have a work plane set differently to the ceiling plan when you were placing it. I think that sometimes the ceiling plan view might default to the floor plan workplane so it may be dumping the CAD file back on the floor level Try setting your work plane to the ceiling plane and re-inserting the drawing file. In relation to the plans it appears to set itself to the level related to the view, so if you raise the iew range above the associated level the dwg will not be visible.

I'm kinda going from memory, but from what i understand of importing into a model view (section, plan elevation - possibly ceilingplans) The drawing file locates itself to a level or workplane in space.

For instance when you place a drawing file in the 3d view you can move it around and set it to a specific height and against a specific face of a building. It is then visible in the 3d and elevation views etc. Its a great tool for applying signage and all sorts of things to the model without having to redraw it when you have and it passed on in DWG format by others.