PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Hood Fan

three_yees1748
2004-03-27, 09:30 PM
Hey All,

I am a novice and have a client who would like to have an elliptical hood fan modelled for their kitchen. I have attached an image of what it looks like. Can anyone suggest how I might approach this? I have done some simple families but am not very comfortable with them yet.

Thanks in advance.

Tyrone.

aggockel50321
2004-03-27, 10:46 PM
Attached is the elliptical lower hood. It's made as a blend solid & a blend void. The bottom sketch for the solid & void are two elipse halves, both with the same major axis but differing minors.

Try editing the solid & void and you'll see how it's constructed. You'll have to anyhow, to change it to the dimensions shown in your sketch.

You can do the rest, with solid extrusions, blends, sweeps,or revolves.

three_yees1748
2004-03-28, 07:20 AM
Andrewg,

Thanks for file. I see where you are going with this but the way I interpret the the gif of the hood fan is this:

In plan the hood is the shape of an ellipse. In the front view it should have a curve to it.

I guess the best way of describing it is like taking an elliptical pancake and draping it over a barrel. It's the "draped" part that I do not know how to do.

I remember taking the online courses for roofs from Revit and someone showing a "saddle" shape roof. I guess this is similar to that but had no idea how he did it. He did say that he used blends to achieve it.

Maybe I could create an elliptical extrusion. Then, use curved voids on the top and bottom of the extrusion to cut out the profile??

I'll give that a go and then reply. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tyrone

three_yees1748
2004-03-28, 08:15 AM
Okay, I think I figured it out. Thanks for giving me some ideas Andrewg!

I have attached the family and an image for comments.

I am having a bit of trouble modelling the piece under the glass hood. If I create an extrusion and use a void to cut out the piece I don't need, it also cuts the glass hood. Any suggestions?

Tyrone

tatlin
2004-03-28, 12:54 PM
Voids will automatically cut any solids they overlap when you make them. Sounds like in this case the void you made is cutting two solids bu you'd like it only to cut one.

You can use the "Cut Geometry" and "Don't Cut Geometry" tools to control which voids cut which solids in the family editor.

I am having a bit of trouble modelling the piece under the glass hood. If I create an extrusion and use a void to cut out the piece I don't need, it also cuts the glass hood. Any suggestions?

aggockel50321
2004-03-28, 02:50 PM
I'm supposed to be painting the guest bedroom while wife is at work. but this is more fun than painting.

Attached is another try at the torino fan. This time I revolved a partial eliptical arch 360°, and then cut it with an elliptical void to give the final hood shape.

Keep in mind that this is just to show you that the geometry is possible. You might want to recreate it, possibly with the ceiling hosted lighting template, & see if the light source will shine down the tube & come out the hood lights.

The exhaust grill on the bottom is just an extruded solid. You might want to just assign it another glass color. Anytime I try to create expanded wire or other grill material with arrayed voids or solids, performance really suffers.

Now where's the GD paint roller...

3/29** Changed exhaust hood to a ceiling based lighting fixture - light now works. ag

three_yees1748
2004-03-28, 07:03 PM
Thanks Andrewg,

The island hood looks awesome!! Because I am a novice I haven't quite figured out exactly what you've done to create it. But once I get a chance I will try to "reverse engineer" it and see how you did it.

Thanks for spending the time to help me out - hopefully your wife won't get too upset :D !

Tyrone