PDA

View Full Version : Can Split Site topo surfaces be undone?

DanielleAnderson
2006-01-05, 11:11 PM
Okay--once again, I have inherited a fun, fun little project...
I've got a situation where instead of using pads, the site was just split and then deleted. Is there a way I can like get out my virtual shovel and fill in that dirt again? Sadly the building has moved, and I think the site was altered from the original survey that the topo was made from, so I'm at a bit of a loss here...
Thanks.

beegee
2006-01-05, 11:52 PM
Other than backups, no, you can't retrieve the split and deleted portion of the site. :cry:

You will need to recreate the top from scratch.

cosmickingpin
2006-01-05, 11:57 PM
Boy I would expect someone with 11 green boxes to know this ;) Well depending on how complex the topo is there are a few options available. Are we talking thousands and thousands of points? If it fairly simple you can model a new topo to fill the area and merge the surfaces using the merge surfaces. You can export the revit topo to ACad and fill in the area you want to fill with various solids and slices, then make a new topo and use the "use imported" feature to create a new topo based on the cad file you have modified. If we are talkinf about a complex hill then I might for the cad solution., if you want to get tricky, copy the existing topo in cad with the one you export out of revit and slice and bolean your way to the correct topo base, and then do the "use imported" (just put them on the same layer to make a new one. You can do "fill" and "excavations" but that is more for project phasing and not for fixing messups.

Okay--once again, I have inherited a fun, fun little project...
I've got a situation where instead of using pads, the site was just split and then deleted. Is there a way I can like get out my virtual shovel and fill in that dirt again? Sadly the building has moved, and I think the site was altered from the original survey that the topo was made from, so I'm at a bit of a loss here...
Thanks.

aaronrumple
2006-01-06, 12:00 AM
Export the topo countours to AutoCAD. Edit the elevations in AutoCAD and reimport and topo-fy them again in Revit?

cosmickingpin
2006-01-06, 12:04 AM
Now Aaron was that you or wes that had that great revit topo from cad tutorial? I will search and post if I find it, I have it somewhere.

Export the topo countours to AutoCAD. Edit the elevations in AutoCAD and reimport and topo-fy them again in Revit?

DanielleAnderson
2006-01-06, 12:17 AM
Boy I would expect someone with 11 green boxes to know this ;) Well depending on how complex the topo is there are a few options available. Are we talking thousands and thousands of points? If it fairly simple you can model a new topo to fill the area and merge the surfaces using the merge surfaces. You can export the revit topo to ACad and fill in the area you want to fill with various solids and slices, then make a new topo and use the "use imported" feature to create a new topo based on the cad file you have modified. If we are talkinf about a complex hill then I might for the cad solution., if you want to get tricky, copy the existing topo in cad with the one you export out of revit and slice and bolean your way to the correct topo base, and then do the "use imported" (just put them on the same layer to make a new one. You can do "fill" and "excavations" but that is more for project phasing and not for fixing messups.

Ah geez dude, cut me some slack here! So much pressure with all the green boxes.
I was hoping for a miracle more than anything, I sort of figured "no" would be my answer. :)

Also thanks to Aaron--that seems like a rational, reasonable, logical idea.

beegee
2006-01-06, 12:20 AM
Much simpler / faster to make it from scratch again IMO.

cosmickingpin
2006-01-06, 12:26 AM
I guess it depends on how big and complex the topo is, how much point editing has been done after the import, and she might not want to loose that data. In some cases (perhpas 99% or so) you are certainly right, but if for some reason she doesn't want to, there are some (perhaps more complex) options available.

Much simpler / faster to make it from scratch again IMO.

beegee
2006-01-06, 12:29 AM
If complex editing was done, then import new topo and merge with original is the way to go.

I guess it depends on how big and complex the topo is, how much point editing has been done after the import, and she might not want to loose that data. In some cases (perhpas 99% or so) you are certainly right, but if for some reason she doesn't want to, there are some (perhaps more complex) options available.

blads
2006-01-06, 01:09 AM
I guess it depends on how big and complex the topo is, how much point editing has been done after the import, and she might not want to loose that data. In some cases (perhpas 99% or so) you are certainly right, but if for some reason she doesn't want to, there are some (perhaps more complex) options available.mind you this will only work if you got acad to export too... beegee's way works best for me

cosmickingpin
2006-01-06, 06:34 PM
Well yeah, that's what I thought I was saying.

If complex editing was done, then import new topo and merge with original is the way to go.

beegee
2006-01-06, 10:27 PM
I thought you were saying a lot more than that... :)

Rols
2006-01-09, 01:55 PM
I smell a wishlist item here.
Wouldn't it be cool if we could use the join geometry tool to rejoin split regions?

dnilsson
2006-01-10, 12:49 AM
Another option is to edit the topo and delete the points creating the "hole". The resulting patch is interpolated from surrounding points so it's not very accurate, but depending on how varied the grades are it might get the job done. Certainly not my first choice, but it works in a pinch.