PDA

View Full Version : Silhoutte Edges

abisarwan.mazran
2006-01-06, 03:36 AM
Hi,
I've been using the silhouette line to represent building depth for my elevation but found it unsatisfactory. This makes my elevation views for my Contract Documents looks flat and because of this, anybody who looks at it assume that the the facade design is without depth. With AutoCAD I would be able to assign different line thickness to different objects according to their elevational depth.
I just wanted to share this and would like to know if there are any other peoples that look at this as a problem.
Is there any other work around? I've used the Linework to identify the edges, but it could be very tedious and time consuming.

beegee
2006-01-06, 04:50 AM
Yes, regularily requested.

It should be in the Wish List somewhere.

sbrown
2006-01-06, 02:08 PM
do a search, I don't use the silloute edges at all for the reason you describe. I found it better to modify the projection lineweights under view visibility for the majority of the building, then just use the linework/detail line tool to heavy up things closer and lighten up things beyond.

patricks
2006-01-06, 09:13 PM
If this is for a presentation to a client or something other than construction documents, I find that turning on shadows in the hidden line elevation view really helps the model to "pop" as it were and bring a good illusion of depth to objects.

If it's just construction documents, then who cares if it looks flat or not? It's not like the contractor won't be able to build it anyway.

abisarwan.mazran
2006-01-24, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. It is actually for Construction Documents. The line thickness issues was brought up in a meeting by the Property Owner and was complaining that the niceness of Architectural Drafting rather loss in Revit.

Some people just can't get past minor issues like this, it was hotly debated in the meeting.

sbrown
2006-01-24, 01:42 PM
Its only lost if you don't do it. Remember with revit you don't have to draft much, but on your elevations you do, if you want a professional looking drawing. I just think about it as when I used to hand draw, I would draw the entire elevation, then trace over the whole thing "popping" what needed to pop, its the same with revit however you get to skip a big step.