PDA

View Full Version : Orient View

dsw98
2006-01-06, 03:59 PM
Is it possible to rotate the N,E,W,S coordiates and not rotate the building. For example say I've drawn my model and the front door (in Revit) is facing down which is South. Is it possible to rotate the the orientation of South, West, North, East so that my front door is now facing East without rotating the actual model? Or is as simple as selecting those 4 elevation and views and rotating them as a whole group?

aggockel50321
2006-01-06, 04:27 PM
One way (view specific):

Turn on the crop region for the view. Select it, and then select the rotate tool. either type in the angle or drag the view to the orientation you want.

Note that if you type in the angle the view will rotate opposite of what you would expect.

Once complete, turn off the crop region if not needed.

Scott D Davis
2006-01-06, 04:40 PM
Or is as simple as selecting those 4 elevation and views and rotating them as a whole group?
Really, all you have to do is rename them to the 'correct' orinetation if you don't want to rotate the model.

zanzibarbob7
2006-01-06, 04:53 PM
I found all three methods to work. Selecting everything>filter>elevations>rotate seemed to worked quickest.

I like having South at the bottom so why not rotate the model, if it's not too complicated yet?

frank.graham
2006-01-06, 05:01 PM
What about turning the sun location. You may be able to tell the North elevation its East but if you use the project location tool it always thinks North is up. It there a way to turn true north or project North??

dsw98
2006-01-06, 05:27 PM
What about turning the sun location. You may be able to tell the North elevation its East but if you use the project location tool it always thinks North is up. It there a way to turn true north or project North??

I guess I should have mentioned this if for a rendered scene or else I wouldn't worry about it. That's my whole reason for doing it. When I do a rendering I need the sun in a certain position at a certain time of day. Also for when I do a site plan. The front door might not be facing South. So does rotating the Elevations on a plan view actually turn the Sun Direction as well?

sbrown
2006-01-06, 06:22 PM
Under the rendering settings dialog box you can rotate north to whatever you want. Just uncheck the box that says use views suns orientation and it will appear as a choice.

dbaldacchino
2006-01-06, 08:58 PM
I recently wanted to find out how to rotate the True North and found that the Help file is incorrect. Here's what it says:

You can rotate plan or RCP views in your project to True North, so you can place them on a sheet.

1. Right-click in the desired plan or RCP view and click View Properties. Set the Orientation parameter to True North and click OK.

2. On the Settings menu, choose Locations and Coordinates, Rotate this Project/True North.

NOTE: There is no such option under Settings. You need to go to Tools-> Project Position/Orientation-> Rotate True North

3. You use the command just like the Rotate command. Rotate the project graphically in the view to true north or enter the angle and direction from True North on the Options Bar. See Rotate (mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesAutodesk%20Revit%20Building%208.1ProgramHelpBuildingENU.CHM::/WS46b90c3cb2c58caddf503fc9951c5a8-7fb3.html).

The linked project in the current view does not move; however, if you look at other plan views whose orientation parameter is set to Project North, you see the change.

This should accomplish what you're trying to do (rotate the orientation without rotating the building).

dsw98
2006-01-06, 09:16 PM
The linked project in the current view does not move; however, if you look at other plan views whose orientation parameter is set to Project North, you see the change. [/color]
QUOTE]

I tried this but The Project did rotate.

dbaldacchino
2006-01-06, 09:34 PM
To see the change, your view has to be set to True North.

dsw98
2006-01-06, 09:37 PM
I did, I changed it on my main level floor plan. I went into Properties changed it from Project north to True North, then did the rotate but my model rotated as well.

dbaldacchino
2006-01-06, 09:42 PM
I did, I changed it on my main level floor plan. I went into Properties changed it from Project north to True North, then did the rotate but my model rotated as well.
That's because the project orientation did change. Once you know the orientation is correct, just change your view back to Project North and everything will return back to normal. Your model didn't really rotate, the only thing that changed is the relative orientation from Project North.

dsw98
2006-01-06, 09:56 PM
Well I understand now. But as far as having it change in the Rendering scene I don't think it's actually changing. If I move True North, but keep my rendering scene at the same settings the shawdows should move should then not? I guess when you get right down to it it doesn't really matter. I'm just trying to see what this Puppy (revit) can do.