PDA

View Full Version : Adding walls for wall sweeps: odd behavior

patricks
2006-01-06, 05:04 PM
When I want to create a wall sweep that runs continuous around several walls, I will usually place a sweep on one wall, then go to a 3D view, select the sweep, hit the Add/Remove Walls button, and then select the walls I want to add the sweep to. However, many times I have a problem with the sweep getting added to the wrong side of the wall, particularly if the sweep is a cornice or coping along the top edge of a wall.

If I'm in the 3D view and I have both walls with the exterior surface towards me, when I click on the sweep on one wall, then click on the adjacent wall, the sweep gets added to the INSIDE face of the second wall. I have to rotate the 3D view around so that the second wall faces AWAY from me (inside surface towards me) in order to get the sweep to wrap around the outside of both walls. It is quite annoying and unintuitive.

Anybody else experience this? It's been happening since probably version 7 or earlier.

ejburrell67787
2006-01-06, 05:22 PM
If you are in a 3d view I think you can tab to select which face of the wall you select to add the sweep to - you should see the line that is picked. At least that's what I seem to remember always doing.

Logically it ought to prioritize picking the same location as the sweep you have already placed... but maybe it doesn't work that way... :?

aaronrumple
2006-01-06, 05:22 PM
The sweep will always be added to the size of the wall facing you as you are placing it. Yes you need to spin around while doing all the exterior walls. It has always worked this way. It would be nice if we could:

tabs to place a sweep on all chained walls.
use trim and split
if placing a second sweep just filled one part of a wall between two openings and not overlap the first.
place by picking two points and have these not move if the wall changed length.

patricks
2006-01-06, 05:59 PM
Well, if I have the exterior of the 2nd wall facing me in the 3D view, the sweep gets added to the INTERIOR of that wall, while the sweep on the first wall is on the exterior.

To get the sweep on the 2nd wall to go on the exterior as it should, I have to orient the model so that the interior is facing me, which just seems dumb IMHO.

*edit* I tried to recreate the problem in a blank project, but of course it works as intended there. However I have run into this problem several times on several projects in several different Revit versions. So I guess it only happens if certain conditions are present. :?

sbrown
2006-01-06, 06:14 PM
Your not alone patrick, and it doesn't matter if you rotate so that wall is directly in front of you sometimes it will still go on the back side. if you are in a true elevation of that wall it will go on the right side. Its odd, if you add a new sweep it will go where you expected in 3d, but as you have found if you add/remove walls it may go to the interior. This happens to me ALL the time. Very annoying. I usually just add a new piece, it still trims up.