PDA

View Full Version : Ecotect

Kirky
2004-03-28, 11:33 PM
I am interested in feed back of anyone using this software? I think some of the Universities here are using it. http://www.squ1.com/site.html

blads
2004-03-29, 01:21 AM
Kirky,

I used to use just the "solar tool" a long time back when I just did 2D cad work as the main program was just too difficult to bother with...

Now that most Australian states have adopted some form of mandatory energy rating - I just use First Rate.

When councils require shadow diagrams, Revit handles them beautifully.

I do belive that the program still handles initial capital outlays, ongoing running costs and life cycle assessment most effectively.

Hope that helps...

hand471037
2004-03-29, 05:42 AM
The latest version of Ecotect is cool. It can do some neat stuff, I played around with it for a little while because of it's native Radiance exporting abilities. But it's only a surface modeler, and while I can see value in it as an anylisis tool, I can't see using it to do any work. I'd love to see them make it able to read Revit models or gbXML files; for then I could work in Revit, export to Ecotect, and then do the wind/heat/light anylisis...

Kirky
2004-03-29, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I have used First Rate which I think is a good comparative tool, but also a bit of a bore. The graphical side of Ecotect seems excellent and would be great with direct input from gbxml. Maybe Revit can buy it :wink: Is anyone using successfully the gbxml thing yet?
The immediate stuff that I need to do needs to be fairly accurate and stand up to scientific/government scrutiny, therefore I will probably be using other consultants. No doubt this will cost. :(

janunson
2006-06-28, 04:11 PM
Ecotect does great graphic materials - they also make a Radiance control panel so you can do lighting level analysis on your Revit Model in Radiance without having to learn all the radiance commands.
The version that's supposed to support GbXMLjust became available on their website today.(http://www.squ1.com/) I will certainly be looking for the GbXML import to try out.
Speaking of GbXML, GreenBuildingStudio also has a new version - 2.0 - previously what it could offer from the GbXML export on revit was nearly enough to satisfy codes in the US, but there wasn't enough documentation for the processes used to work for us - you might check it out though.