PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Question

david_peterson
2006-01-06, 06:14 PM
Currently when you have a beam say at elevation 100'-0" and another beam directly below it at say 97'-0", you show the higher beam in the correct location in plan and place the lower beam about 6" off to the side, give it an elevation, and a 0" dimension from the beam above. How do you do this in Revit?
Thanks

Paul Andersen
2006-01-06, 06:27 PM
You can tag both beams and fake the offset beam with a detail line. You'll also have to fake the 0" dimension since RS doesn't let you edit the dimensions. One way to do this is have a separate dimension style that has it's text size set very small and then simply place a piece of text over it. We've also been kicking around the idea of leaving the single line with a tag above and below and high low or +/- elevation notation. Not quite as clear but a little less work.

david_peterson
2006-01-06, 06:30 PM
What do you do with the dimension? From my understanding, you can't edit dimension text. So far the only thing I can think off is to place a piece of text over the dimension text.

Paul Andersen
2006-01-06, 06:34 PM
Posted ahead of my edit :) That's the only way I've been able to come up with. Use that trick a lot for notation in detailing as well.

david_peterson
2006-01-06, 06:44 PM
I think you can still use the same dim style, text comes with a mask. Just need to add spaces before and after to cover it.

Paul Andersen
2006-01-06, 06:53 PM
You are correct we've just run into situations where the extra spaces got in the way of other line work in tighter areas of plans and when detailing. Plus I got tired of typing the spaces. It's also nice to have the faked annotation on a separate style so you can colorize it if you want your notation to stand out from real dimensions on screen.