PDA

View Full Version : Decals in Revit 6.0 scaling weird?

e_revitgeek1907
2004-03-30, 03:42 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have only been using Revit for about 7 months so I have alot to learn still. My problem is that our company just upgraded to 6.0 from 5.1. I started using 6.0 today and have noticed something odd with the decals. When I first place the decals on the windows for my window backgrounds, it's ok. The problem is when I unlock the proportions and stretch the blue nodes on the corners. In revit 5.1, you just grab the corner of the decal and stretch it in the direction you're going. With 6.0, when I stretch the decal for example, to the right, it goes to the left instead. I eventually get the decal to where I want to go, but it's annoying. Is this a glitch that might have occured when 6.0 converted the 5.1 project file? It doesn't happen when I apply a decal to a plain front door.

My other problem is that I am working on a project that has four townhome units put together in a one point streetscene. Before I put the four together in a master file, I created each of the townhomes in seperate projects since the cad files were separate. After, I created each Townhome, I applied the decals and texture maps to each townhome. I brought all four into the master file as RVT links. They were placed side by side. When I went to render the who scene, the texture maps applied fine on the townhomes, but the decals didn't show up. Only one decal showed up partially on a garage door. The decals showed up fine when I rendered the townhomes individually. It was after they were put side by side, that the decals didn't render correctly.

If someone out there knows what's happening, please let me know. I am stumped. :(

e_revituserMP

P.S. Sorry for the long post

beegee
2004-03-30, 04:14 AM
Your first problem with stretching decals could be a glitch with upgrading the files to 6.0. I'm not seeing that in 6.1 at all.

The second one is a problem when linking files and rendering - strange and unexpected things happen to imported decals then. They move around. I suspect that linking isn't a supported operation for decals.

In both cases, I suggest get it to support for a definite answer.

e_revitgeek1907
2004-03-31, 03:34 AM
Beegee,

Thanks for the response. Our IT person wants to wait for the official 6.1 update and not use the beta version yet. As for the linked files, I think you're probably right. It would take too much time for me to do all the townhomes in one project so I kept the linked version and whatever decals didn't render, I just spent another hour or so adding them in Photoshop. In the future, I'll do a little less linking until the bug is fixed in future updates.

e_revituserMP

beegee
2004-03-31, 03:46 AM
Beegee,

Thanks for the response. Our IT person wants to wait for the official 6.1 update and not use the beta version yet. As for the linked files, I think you're probably right. It would take too much time for me to do all the town homes in one project so I kept the linked version and whatever decals didn't render, I just spent another hour or so adding them in Photoshop. In the future, I'll do a little less linking until the bug is fixed in future updates.

e_revituserMP

Just to clarify, 6.1 is officially released. Revit doesn't use beta releases. There is a minor bug in the current build to do with the display of dimensions, buts its an easy fix and a new build will be available soon to rectify that anyway. So, I wouldn't let that stop you enjoying the increased productivity of 6.1.

Re the linking of decals. I doubt that Revit would consider that a bug to be fixed. Linking was introduced for specific purposes and does not support an Xref type environment , yet , even though we might wish it did.
So, it could get implemented in a future release, but that would depend on its priority. Seeing as its important for the way you work, it might be a good idea to post on the wish list for that.

e_revitgeek1907
2004-03-31, 04:34 AM
BeeGee,

I did not know that info. I'll pass it along. Maybe I should contact Autodesk about the links as a possible future feature. This was the first time I actually linked so many things together. Normally, I work with individual houses without any linking. I hope in a year, I'll be an advanced user, so I have less of a headache at work.

I think I'll log off after this. I've had Revit on my mind all day. It gets a little draining when you're still in the learning process.

Thanks again