PDA

View Full Version : Fencing

sultarc
2006-01-10, 09:39 PM
I have to show outdoor fencing around a pool with gate. Thought I could use stair railing but they are horiz. pipe rails. Anyone have any fence for a pool? I've tried Revitcity and the Revit web.

sbrown
2006-01-10, 10:11 PM
curtain wall is the easiest, make a panel for your gate and a panel that has a chain link material, with a diagnol crosshatch surf pattern with the transparency set to 100

kpaxton
2006-01-10, 10:26 PM
Scott dribbles up the court...

He lines up....

He shoots...

HE SCORES !!!!

Nice tip!

sultarc
2006-01-10, 10:45 PM
I really need it to be pickets. An iron picket fence with the pickets extending up past the last horizontal member a bit. While i'm at here, is there a brick jack arch around?

DanielleAnderson
2006-01-10, 11:06 PM
Could you make a custom railing where you make a special balluster that is your iron picket and some sort of custom "railing" that is the chain link part?

kpaxton
2006-01-10, 11:51 PM
Could you make a custom railing where you make a special balluster that is your iron picket and some sort of custom "railing" that is the chain link part?
Well, I was going to be cruel earlier and say to sultarc "make one yourself" (a railing). This is actually what I would suggest doing. While the curtain wall is a great idea (hence my comment), making a railing is probably better in the long run as you can then use this in multiple projects quite easily.

Look through the railing tuts and other comments posted on here. Make your Posts and Balusters as normal and how you'd like to see them. Then make a separate, specialty baluster panel (not a railing) that meets the "look and need" of your chain link portion. This is how we are doing panels like the 'Union Jack' fence that gets used alot here in Florida. Then your top and bottom 'railings' you can make as your pipe, or however you'd like to see it.

Once you get the hang of it, it'll seem pretty simple. The railing function is a powerful part of the program.

Let us know how it works.

sultarc
2006-01-11, 02:25 AM
So is there a family type for railings? We saw some nice ones at AU. So somehow I thought they were part of the program. They said they would post all those neat families.

sbrown
2006-01-11, 03:01 AM
Sure, you want to make a balluster panel for your gate. you will make your pickets as ballusters, your posts and ballusters/posts. then compose the fence in the railing editor. For the gate you may find it easier to use a sep. railing type containg just the gate family and the posts, then your picket railing dies into it.

sultarc
2006-01-16, 08:53 PM
OK, I tackled the fence issue. I was fairly successful but I still have a question. I was able to get the fence acting like I wanted for the most part. Iron pickets extending above the top rail and stopping at the bottom rail. I made posts repeating every four or five feet extending to the ground. When I OK all this I get one picked past each post. Do you have to add all the pickets to the dialogue box to make them all show up? This sort of works but it doesn't seem like it should be THE WAY.

When there are no posts to the ground, all the pickets show up at 4" centers but not when intermediate posts are present.

sbrown
2006-01-16, 09:33 PM
there is a choice for what post you want to use to continue the pattern. So if you set your pattern to centered, then what you pick here will fill out each side. If you use start as the justification, this will just fill on one end.

Rhythmick
2006-01-16, 09:52 PM
Here is a link that may be of interest to you.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=26521&highlight=post+placement

sultarc
2006-01-16, 10:47 PM
Thanks, i'll try these settings tonight.

Rhythmick
2006-01-16, 10:51 PM
Sorry about the last nonsense post I edited out!
If your set up with balluster panels between the posts vrs. a simple repeating baluster you need to set "distance from last" for both the panel and the post as center of panel to center of post.