PDA

View Full Version : Using Worksets with Revit Structure?

jrichardson
2006-01-11, 12:28 PM
Is anyone using worksets? If so, how are you dividing your model up? In the past with AutoCAD we would only have one drafter on a project. Even the big ones. Now I think that will still be the case for the most part with the exception of the introduction of the engineer to the model. For our office, I currently see one drafter and one engineer needing to open the model more than likely at the same time.

What are others doing? Should I be learning worksets?

Paul Andersen
2006-01-11, 12:52 PM
Jamie, We've used worksets on several projects. The nice thing about worksets is that you can break a project up anyway you like and if your initial strategy doesn't work you can always switch your worksets around later. Our primary use has been for one technician to continue working on the model while another can set up sheets and develop details and such. On large projects we have broken buildings up into wings or along expansion joints and had 2 or 3 technicians working on their own wings from foundations on up. We generally don't enable worksets until sometime after SD's once everything starts to settle down. Then we divvy up the project in whatever manner makes sense at the time for the number of technicians that are getting on board. As the engineers get more involved we will probably break out loads into their own workset. I guess the only thing to point out is that once you enable worksets on a project there is no way of turning them off.

Terry Jordan
2006-01-12, 02:39 PM
We're using worksets on our pilot project. We are using it in much the same way that Paul is, except we've split the building up per level. Although it's working well, in the future I think that we would do what Paul has done and split it up per segment.

We have 4 technicians working on the project and one of the technicians is in another office in another state.

jrichardson
2006-01-12, 05:45 PM
Curious to know how it is working with the tech in the other office. How are you handling this over the wire. We will be having to tackle the remote office solution soon.
thanks,

Terry Jordan
2006-01-12, 08:55 PM
We utilize point to point T1’s between our main office and each of our remote locations. It's worked out very well. It's as if he were working in our office.

jrichardson
2006-01-13, 03:19 AM
Thanks, That is what I wanted to here. Our point to point T1 is suppose to go live this week. I was hoping that we could work on Revit projects efficiently out of the remote office.