PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Lightweight 3D Models.

aaronrumple
2004-03-30, 05:34 PM
Here's an example of a toilet that acts 3D but is all 2D. This solves the problems of linework not masking textures of distant planes.

This family consists of 3 detail components - plan, front side. Solid fills are used for all of the objects.

These are then compiled into a 3D family. To get the object to project and cut correctly, two rectangles of model lines are constructed which define the imaginary model extents.

PeterJ
2004-03-30, 08:30 PM
Aaron, Good work fella.

I have done a couple of these but had not thought of the model line rectangles.

aaronrumple
2004-03-30, 08:52 PM
..if you really want to be a modeling miser - you just need only a X-Y and Z line to define the extents. Save yourself 5 lines.

rgranja508683
2004-05-07, 09:32 AM
Aaron,

I try your file and work nice but when I try making one from a new family template the filled region don't masking the information from distant planes. What kind of special operation you do?

Regards,
Ricardo

aaronrumple
2004-05-07, 10:17 PM
My filled regions are not filled regions in the family, but nested detail componets within the family.

rgranja508683
2004-05-10, 09:16 AM
Aaron,

I create my filled regions on the detail component and then insert the detail component in the new temlate file but the filled region doen't work. I don't know what kind of change you made in the template file but if I use your file the filled region work but if I use one new template file the filled region doesn't work.

Regards,
Ricardo Granja

rhys
2004-05-10, 09:39 AM
Excellent now whos going to do a complete set of Armitage Shanks or Twfords fittings!!!

mark_a
2004-07-06, 04:51 AM
Hello,
Lightweight 3D pans, basins, in wall cisterns etc. are what I am looking for. They need to be like this to keep file size under control, as there are a lot of fittings
Aaron, your concept is great, but I am using R6.0, so no joy with your file.
Does anyone have any of the above happenning in R6.0?

mark_a

dazza163968596
2004-07-06, 08:03 AM
Excellent now whos going to do a complete set of Armitage Shanks or Twfords fittings!!!Heres the twyfords entice/view toilet & sink just to get us started

mark_a
2004-07-07, 05:22 AM
Thanks dazza,
However this project is release 6.0, so no joy for me here.
I am working on this myself, and have got the pan and in wall cistern pretty close. File size is good too at 125k. I am using extrusions to create the three views. Have a few hiccups with pans moving in plan when I edit from the existing pan family to this one, but this a minor issue I hope to resolve.

mark_a

Phil Palmer
2004-07-07, 08:55 AM
In the overall 'spirit' of Revit Family sharing. I have recently done an excercise in the creation of various Armitage Shanks series WC's, using the Aaron Rumple school of family creation techniques.

The good news for pre 6.1 people is that the file attached is a version 6.0 file

(yes we are still to upgrade to version 6.1 unfortunately)

This is just a few examples of wall hung, back to wall and close coupled Arimtage Shanks

I hope they work for you all

rhys
2004-07-07, 09:20 AM
Thanks Phil - bit to smart for Housing Associations but nice to have anyway. When the Exchange is up this sort of family will be invaluable especially for newbies

Damo
2004-10-18, 09:09 AM
......Solid fills are used for all of the objects..OK Aaron, this has really got me in a tangle. I'm having major problems trying to get the linework showing on the solid fills.

This is what I've been up to:
I've created a '(metric) detail component' for each of the 3 views and applied a solid fill. Before nesting the 3 detail components into a '(metric) Plumbing Fixture Wall Based' I've tried to draw lines on top of the solid fills, but they appear to be behind the solid fill. I can select the lines and move them aside from behind the solid fill but I cannot make them remain on top of the solid fill.

aaronrumple
2004-10-18, 01:25 PM
They won't remain on top of solid fills. You'll need to draw fills next to each other and use the edges of the fills for your linework....

davidcobi
2006-02-17, 10:38 PM
Aaron,

I create my filled regions on the detail component and then insert the detail component in the new temlate file but the filled region doen't work. I don't know what kind of change you made in the template file but if I use your file the filled region work but if I use one new template file the filled region doesn't work.

Regards,
Ricardo Granja

I had to offset my family by 1/256" to get it to hide the pattern beyond. I'm not sure how he did it either.

aaronrumple
2006-02-17, 11:25 PM
I had to offset my family by 1/256" to get it to hide the pattern beyond. I'm not sure how he did it either.
Post the file...

davidcobi
2006-02-18, 01:09 AM
I used your plan detail component in my own family and the pattern of the floor below still shows through.

iru69
2006-02-18, 02:06 AM
I used your plan detail component in my own family and the pattern of the floor below still shows through.
You're really close - you just need to add an invisible line in elevation. The line should start at the floor and be as tall as the toilet.

davidcobi
2006-02-18, 02:30 AM
Do detail components "sweep" along invisible model lines?

aaronrumple
2006-02-18, 02:32 AM
You're really close - you just need to add an invisible line in elevation. The line should start at the floor and be as tall as the toilet.
The invisible lines determine the extents of the model. For some families you might also need one running front to back and side to side. In this case a vertical line in the middle will probably be good enough. For a chair that gets pushed under a desk, you probably need lines front to back as well...

aaronrumple
2006-02-18, 02:33 AM
Do detail components "sweep" along invisible model lines?
That's the basic idea...

iru69
2006-02-18, 03:38 AM
For a chair that gets pushed under a desk, you probably need lines front to back as well...
Interesting... for a chair and table, I'd simply set the height of the invisible line for the table higher than the invisible line for the chair... I'm trying to think of where that would be less successful.

davidcobi
2006-02-18, 03:50 AM
hmm.. If I draw an invisible line 1' tall then set the BOTTOM of my Primary Range to 1'-1" the detail component appears totally black in my project. I guess the answer is, don't set the BOTTOM of your Primary Range higher than the invisible line extends.

aaronrumple
2006-02-19, 01:58 AM
Interesting... for a chair and table, I'd simply set the height of the invisible line for the table higher than the invisible line for the chair... I'm trying to think of where that would be less successful.
You can also add in details for front and side views. If you had a vertical line on the back of a desk and push a chair partway under which used a line at the front of the chair - then the table would be in front of the chair rather than seeing the chair in front of the table in elevation.

iru69
2006-02-19, 03:04 AM
You can also add in details for front and side views.
Ahh, excellent. Thanks for the tip.

mschroeder
2006-03-06, 11:21 PM
Why are we spending so much effort to make a 2D symbol. Should the problem be refocused on to Revit's graphic engine?

File size?
This is a non-issue. See my Division -10,000- 3D toilets below? The Revit project is 1.2 megs (the entire RFA).
Performance?
When you turn off the toilets Revit is as snappy as ever. It's only when they are visible does Revit start to lag. 2D toilets are slightly better - but not much.
Appearance?
Yes. Ugly potato shaped toilet with unacceptable plan / elevation representation.
What if you had more control how Revit renders a 3D element, similar to a Toon shader in 3D MAX, a symbol may not be necessary.