PDA

View Full Version : Curved ramp?

snurresprett9
2006-01-12, 05:25 PM
Is it possible to make a rampe that curves like this? If so, how?

EDIT: I need to be able to have railings follow the ramp profile!

patricks
2006-01-12, 07:53 PM
I think by definition a ramp is a flat, inclined surface, so no I don't think you can do that, short of an in-place extrusion, or possibly a sweep. Perhaps you could do an in-place ramp that the railing could follow? I've never really tried anything like that.

*edit* nope there is no selection for an in-place stair or ramp. I'm not sure how you would do it, perhaps someone else can help?

cosmickingpin
2006-01-12, 08:29 PM
Yeah I would just go ahead and model it then, and make sure you model the railing to follow the ramp (in-place family of course). Are curved ramps covered in IBC? I haven't seen the section, but I am quite young, if somebody knows, please pass it along.

Is it possible to make a rampe that curves like this? If so, how?

EDIT: I need to be able to have railings follow the ramp profile!

snurresprett9
2006-01-12, 08:37 PM
I've tried making it as an in-place floor too, but the floor could not be set as host for the railing. Are there any way to make a curved railing, other than in-place?

cosmickingpin
2006-01-12, 08:39 PM
Yeah actually I would model it as a loaded parametric component, and put adjustable length, radius and width, number of rail posts, embed different rail styles and select between them in each instance, that would make life easier if you are doing these all the time, (I have always wanted to do a mini golf course.) Have your posts on your railing an arrayed group with lables on the dimensions and formulas for number and spacing.

snurresprett9
2006-01-12, 08:48 PM
Yeah actually I would model it as a loaded parametric component, and put adjustable length, radius and width, number of rail posts, embed different rail styles and select between them in each instance, that would make life easier if you are doing these all the time, (I have always wanted to do a mini golf course.) Have your posts on your railing an arrayed group with lables on the dimensions and formulas for number and spacing.

Go design your houses with your dormers, bay-windows and clapboard-siding...

cosmickingpin
2006-01-12, 09:03 PM
I don't get it? What? I don't do residential, haven't worked on a house in 4 years, having way too much fun on my airport terminal.

Edit, BTW I wasn't intending the Min golf course comment in a pejorative sense, I meant I honestly would Iove to do a min gold course, I once did a family water park, now that was fun.

Go design your houses with your dormers, bay-windows and clapboard-siding...

hand471037
2006-01-13, 02:18 AM
Edit, BTW I wasn't intending the Min golf course comment in a pejorative sense, I meant I honestly would Iove to do a min gold course, I once did a family water park, now that was fun.

OMG I WOULD LOVE TO DO A MINI-GOLF COURSE!

Let's open a specialty firm!

As for your curved ramp, it will have to be an in-place family if you want it scheduled as a ramp. If you don't care about that, then you can make this shape with the 'Roof by Extrusion' tool, or you could make a little bit of Massing, and then use the 'Floor by Face' tool to make the surface of the Mass into your curved floor.

cosmickingpin
2006-01-13, 03:21 AM
So how about a Revit modeling contest where we all model a hole for the Revit Mini golf course? Somebody picks the 18 best entries (yeah like we would get more than 18 ) and those become the official release, and next year at AU the winners get tee shirts that say "real men mini golf! Biotch!" but they could have parametric elements with different catagories like, "best use of handrails" or "funkiest windmill" (mine is gonna be bob marley with rotating dreds).
What do you people say? Anybody in?

As for your curved ramp, it will have to be an in-place family if you want it scheduled as a ramp. If you don't care about that, then you can make this shape with the 'Roof by Extrusion' tool, or you could make a little bit of Massing, and then use the 'Floor by Face' tool to make the surface of the Mass into your curved floor.

Mark Vorstenbosch
2006-01-13, 07:28 AM
Hi everybody.

If you don't need to schedule the ramp or railing,try and do the in-place floor(ramp) and then for the railing use a curtain wall edit the profile and put in the mullions.

I don't know if this is right but well I tried.

snurresprett9
2006-01-13, 11:38 AM
Hi everybody.

If you don't need to schedule the ramp or railing,try and do the in-place floor(ramp) and then for the railing use a curtain wall edit the profile and put in the mullions.

I don't know if this is right but well I tried.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll try that.
Thanks.

I wish there was a way to use curved surfaces as host for railings though...

snurresprett9
2006-01-13, 11:43 AM

I dont think roofs can host a railing?

I dont think you can use 'floor by face' on curved or not horizontal surfaces in massing.

But thanks anywho...

hand471037
2006-01-13, 03:40 PM
I dont think roofs can host a railing?

I dont think you can use 'floor by face' on curved or not horizontal surfaces in massing.

But thanks anywho...

The roof wouldn't be able to host a railing, you'd still have to model that.

And you're right about the wall-by-face, I think Roof-by-face can make shapes like that. Wall-by-face can make sloping walls, and I got confused.

One trick you might try is sometimes In-Place families, if put in the right category, will behave just like there non-in-place counterparts. For example, you can make a very curvy wall via an in-place Family, and if you put it in the wall category you'll be able to drop windows and doors into it still, and have Revit cut the openings for them and such. I haven't tried hosting a railing on a in-place family in the ramp category, but it's worth a try.

cosmickingpin
2006-01-13, 04:02 PM
The curtain wall is a pretty good idea, but you will be somewhat limited as to that your railing will look like, but you could use different mullions as you move up and down the rail to get a more complicated railing. yeah I will buy that, looks good mark

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll try that.
Thanks.

I wish there was a way to use curved surfaces as host for railings though...