PDA

View Full Version : newbie question: slabs

c_whitmore
2006-01-15, 12:24 AM
I am working on a 10 story hotel and my slab is exactly the same on 8 of the floors. What is the best way to approach it so that if I change one they all change. Right now I did the "paste to level by name" and then I just redo that every time I need to make a change. There has to be a better way to do this...

Thanks in advance..

crw

Steve_Stafford
2006-01-15, 02:01 AM
One way...since you've got the floor done already...

Edit the sketch of one of the floors
Copy the linework to clipboard
Start a new generic model family
Start a solid Extrusion
Paste the linework into the sketch
Finish the sketch
Save and name the family
Load the family into your project.
Start an In-Place floor family on the first level these typical floors begin
Now place this new generic model component you made into the In-Place family
Finish the family
Select the family
Copy to clipboard and paste aligned selecting levels by name.
If you have a change, just edit the generic model family and reload into the project.
Downside?

Cool tool...Opening Shaft doesn't work on these "floors" so you have to define the shaft openings in the sketch of the generic "floor" model family itself.

Context...no project in the family file makes it a bit harder to work on the floor sketch. To get around this you can create a floor over the top to create some sketch lines that you can paste into the family easily. Just don't bother to finish the floor sketch.

Try it out for yourself and see how much faster a floor done this way will load compared to an actual floor. Now imagine across 40 plus stories...

Oh if any of these steps need more detail then advise.

beegee
2006-01-15, 02:15 AM
Yet another way is to group the typical floor plate and then copy - multiple to the other levels.

Any change made to the typical floor will update the entire group.

sbrown
2006-01-15, 02:36 AM
I like groups for this one. Just make it once. group it, since its just one object in the group, it behaves nice, then copy / paste aligne to each level.

sjsl
2006-01-15, 05:07 PM
Groups have my vote. I use this alot for repetitive objects. Works as a mini design option at times as well.

Steve_Stafford
2006-01-15, 08:03 PM
It's my experience that "floor as family" will beat "floor as group" as the design evolves. It takes at least twice as long to propogate changes to a floor sketch in a group.

As the number of floors involved increases it becomes much more apparent. Also as you start resolving documentation by using join geometry to make sections look good it gets even more apparent.

Adding recessed slab conditions is easier with "floor as family" too because it is part of the "floor" family instead of adding instances of floor hosted void families to the "floor as group". The shaft tool does work on "floor as group" but doesn't help for recessed slab conditions.

Mr Spot
2006-01-15, 10:05 PM
I"ve also typically gone the floor as family method. Mainly because if you get to the point where there are thickenings or tapered slabs to floors, recesses, lots of penetrations etc. Its much easier and more accurate to model these externally and makes changes easier to co-ordinate IMHO.

Regarding the No context issue. We typically setup the external floor family so its origin is the same as in the project by using paste aligned. That way when i need to make a change I edit the in-place floor family, pick the references i need by placing symbolic lines, then select the symbolic lines and copy and paste them into the external family (you could even paste them directly into the external floor family sketch if you need to).

sbrown
2006-01-16, 02:31 AM
I agree with the family approach once you get to CD's when you are making design changes it will be a PITA, having to edit the family by first exporting your updated plan, etc. I think the family approach is awesome on high rises, 10 stories is probably small enough that the benefit won't be that great. Its still a very good approach. I just prefer to work "live" until performance forces me out.

c_whitmore
2006-01-16, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to give the family a shot. I tried a bit with the group and noticed the lag that you are talking about. We've also got some tall hotels coming in next month so might as well learn it now :D

thanks,
crw