PDA

View Full Version : Disallow Framing Joints

ryanmcin
2006-01-16, 04:57 PM
Good morning, I am having an issue the structural framing on my models. I use both Revit Building and Revit Structure, however this issue seems to apply to both packages. My problem has to do with the framing members automatically joining to each other. I design modular buildings, which are a series of steel frames that are placed next to each other to form a complete building. I have created the various frame pieces (Roofs & Floors) and then inserted them as groups into a model. When I create a single complete frame (Floor frame, Columns @ corners & Roof frame) it appears to be graphically correct and all of the framing pieces join properly. Once I start to copy the additional frames throughout my model I start having problems with the framing. Where the modules meet each other the framing starts applying end offsets and joins with the wrong framing. Admittedly I am not adding the framing in a way that Revit wants me to. Most of the shapes are custom cold-rolled shapes that I have created, also many of the connections need to be modeled accurately because they are often exposed, also the documentation needs to be presented in a way that is familiar to our production crews. In order to present the model properly I need to cope many of the members so that they fit together correctly. I have supplied some screen captures (I apologize for the poor quality) that graphically describe the problem. I think I have two solutions, the first would be to disallow framing joins, however I don't know if that is possible. The second would be to recreate all of the structural framing items as generic components not structural components. I would prefer not to use generic components if possible, but I will if I have no other option. I would greatly appreciate any insight or assistance that you have. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

ryanmcin
2006-01-20, 12:06 AM
Any ideas?? Anyone??

erikbjur
2006-01-20, 07:07 AM
There may be something going on in the pasting process. When I model framing, say deck joist framing for example. Some times the deck joists when offset, attach them selves to the door posts in the wall they frame into. If I just pull the member back and re-attach the member to the ledger, revit cleans up the join properly. Whey you paste, the order that the members are created may be causing problems. Have you thought about grouping the frames together as units. I have never done this, as apparently there are some issues with groups. Maybe someone else could offer some advice. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I know the frusturation of running into a wall in revit. Trust me there is an elegant way to accomplish what you want. Good luck and let us know what worked and what didn't.

A3D
2006-01-20, 10:15 AM
Hi ryanmcin,

I had a very bad experience with framing members in Revit.

You can not disallow joining as you would normally do with walls.

I had so much problems with the framing automatically joining to the walls that I ended up using generic models. Not really much of a solution if you use RS to design the structure. BTW, I still don't really get it why framing members join to walls - it's like negating the modern concept of structure.
Framing members are very special - if you try to do something different you may run into problems.

Batman
2008-12-09, 07:56 PM
I'm reviving an old post to see whether anyone has a decent work around for this problem. I know there have been some tweaks to structural members since the original posts but nothing to solve this???

How do most people deal with unwanted structural member joins?