PDA

View Full Version : Drafting View Elevation

phyllisr
2006-01-16, 05:01 PM
At the last minute, we are adding a detached dumpster enclosure for a project that we are printing soon. Though we eventually plan to recreate all this in Revit, we currently have the plan, plan details, elevation details, and section details completed in AutoCAD - in the interest of a deadline and time, we imported as Drafting Views. We found, however, that we were unable to add an elevation mark to the plan drafting view as an active link to the other drafting view elevations. We were able to do this with no trouble for the sections and callouts. I was sort of able to do this with a serious cheat (I created a section tag with a family that "looks" like an elevation but unfortunately, I cannot eliminate the section line).

Is there a quick work-around? Am I missing something in my earlier attempt at "cheating?" We do not plan to continue this longer term, but for the moment, is there anything we can do to keep the links active and automatically populate the elevation callout?

Thanks!
PBR

patricks
2006-01-16, 05:08 PM
You should be able to place an elevation mark and click on "Reference Other View" before clicking to place the mark. You can reference the drafting views with your elevations.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, just place an elevation mark and create an elevation in the model, and then copy in the linework for the elevation into the elevation view.

phyllisr
2006-01-16, 06:13 PM
It seems your first suggestion is not possible. Clip attached.

Second suggestion works but has the same issues as my original original work-around. The goal is just to be able to use the completed AutoCAD dumpster plan as a drafting view. We have the plan linked as a drafting view and want the elevation marks on that plan. We could add the drafted AutoCAD plan to the model view plan with a callout (similar to your suggestion) and add the elevation marks in the callout view. But then we must adjust all the import visibility settings, reset the ranges for the views on the sheets, adjust any other annotation already in place... And then, it is not immediately apparent that the plan is a drafting view. If we are going to use a work-around (only as we gear up for migration), I would rather it be absolutely clear what we used as a drafting view (plan or not) and what is actually in the model. Not a huge thing but just more stuff to do at the eleventh hour. We were just pushing to a deadline and wanted to least work possible.

But thanks for the effort - anything is worth a shot at this time.
PBR

aaronrumple
2006-01-16, 06:39 PM
Is that a plan view or a callout of a plan view? I don't think a elevation symbol can be placed in a detail callout (I'm going from memory here...)

phyllisr
2006-01-16, 06:46 PM
Is that a plan view or a callout of a plan view?

Excellent memory. Actually, it is a drafting view with a linked DWG plan. But the principle is the same - I cannot generate an elevation tag from either a callout view or a drafting view. Hence, my problem. Understandably, Revit does not much like DWG files for my purpose but an elevation in a callout view would be nice. Just another way to organize the browser if we could define our 1/4" enlarged plans as a callout. Oh, well. We'll cope.

Thanks,
PBR

Scott D Davis
2006-01-16, 06:46 PM
As a section tag work around: To get "rid" of the section line, turn off the tail, then highlight the section marker, adn click the blue grip where the tail was. Then pull the section line in towards the head, until it is hidden by the section head itself.

patricks
2006-01-16, 07:36 PM
Ah okay I see now, the plan is also a drafting view.

So is this dumpster enclosure going to show up on a site plan anywhere? If so, I would probably just draw a quick box on the site plan to indicate the location of the enclosure, then use a callout of the floor plan type around that area. When you go to the callout view, it should be blank, unless you have other model elements there, but then you can just paste your linework into that view, and you can also place elevation symbols that reference your elevation drafting views. I see what you said about having to change the import visibility settings, but given what you have this is still probably the best way.

As for elevations in callout views, make sure the callout type is set to Floor Plan before placing the callout, and not Detail View. You can place elevation symbols in a floor plan callout.

sbrown
2006-01-16, 09:34 PM
I allways try to make real views first, even if they are of a blank wall as you suggest, then import the dwg into them and turn off the model.