PDA

View Full Version : Railing problems, it won't host

patricks
2006-01-16, 05:11 PM
I have a wall-mounted railing running along a stair. At present time the railing is running flat, parallel to the lower floor. I have tried to edit the railing sketch, and I pick the stair as the host, but for some reason it just won't run up along the stair. Any particular reason why I can't get it to work?

*edit* I deleted the rail and tried to recreate it, I drew the sketch line running from the bottom of the stair to the top, and it still wouldn't run up the stair. So I deleted it again and tried again, this time sketching a line from the top of the stair to the bottom, and that time it worked. Does it really matter which direction the line is sketched as to whether or not the stair will host the rail properly? Do they always have to be drawn from the top of the stair to the bottom?

sbrown
2006-01-16, 05:47 PM
the sketch has to overlap the stair or it won't host it

The Sweg
2006-01-16, 06:02 PM
If you go to the properties of your railing, you can set an offset so that it will be on top of a kneewall that follows the stairs, but it's still attached to the stairs.

See attached.

patricks
2006-01-16, 06:44 PM
Yeah in both cases I had the sketch line right on top of the edge of the stair (what would be the stair boundary if in stair sketch mode). It's a steel stair and so I have the steel channel stringers as separate railing elements. The stair itself has no stringers in its type.

TheRevitGeek
2006-01-16, 10:58 PM
The reason is that your railing possibly has an offset and by drawing it up the stair it was offsetting to the outside of it and down the stair it was offsetting on top of it allowing it to be hosted. That is what my guess would be with out seeing the file.