PDA

View Full Version : Linking Multiple DWG's

Simon.Whitbread
2006-01-16, 11:29 PM
Ok, I've set true North, and linked in one or more dwgs, rotated to suit view and published coordinates. Saved project, saved changes to linked dwgs.

My view changes orientation to Project North, everything fine so far.
This is where my problems start:
Someone edits and saves a dwg. While in Project North, I reload the dwg to see changes.
The Linked file changes location.
I hope I'm doing something wrong, can any one help?

ejburrell67787
2006-01-17, 01:27 PM
It's because you're listing to G'n'R while your working! ;)

j/k can't help you with this sorry... hopefully someone else can!

Simon.Whitbread
2006-01-17, 07:38 PM
It's because you're listing to G'n'R while your working! ;)
How the *!$# did you know?!!

Seriously though, I think the answer is to have the view setup as 'True North' never changing its orientation and only reloading from this view.

I've just been asked to provide additional support on this project. The team involved have already linked 17 RVT's for existing buildings (Massed only) . These support buildings have existing DWG's which are also linked to the main RVT.
I found another thread... http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=880 which suggests that linking should be done in True North, which is fine. Haven't been able to find anything about the linked file changing location. I suppose it makes some sort of sense, because if you attached an xref in autocad at a different UCS, the orientation would change. BUT reloading an xref when in another UCS wouldn't cause any change. This is were our users are having some confusion.

ejburrell67787
2006-01-17, 07:42 PM
How the *!$# did you know?!!See your first screen shot! ;)

Yeah I haven't needed to change orientations on any projects or linked files yet so I've not come up against that issue.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-01-17, 07:55 PM
I'm not quite back into 'work mode' - MUST explain it!

Why people continually change the orientation of any one view is beyond me. Mind you, nearly every one of our 70+ Revit users are at the same stage - 2 with maybe six at stage 5 = LOTS of questions