PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions to non Parallel elements

Jit
2004-04-01, 08:27 PM
Hi All

I have a stair that is not parrallel and perpendicular to other walls, when I try and dimension it in 6.1, it say that it cant because it non parrallel.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

mlgatzke
2004-04-01, 08:42 PM
In cases like this I'll usually bury a RefPlane or a Detail Line where I want to attach my dimension. Then I attach the dimension to that. The advantage of using a Detail Line is that it doesn't permeate throughout other views and clutter your model with unnecessary RefPlanes.

(added) At times like this, I'll also place a large-filled dot at the location I'm dimensioning to. This allows the viewer to see where the dimension is attaching - which is necessary considering the situation.

Jit
2004-04-01, 09:03 PM
Thanks

does this mean that revit cant dimension to non parrallel ?

mlgatzke
2004-04-01, 09:06 PM
You can dimension from a plane (line) to a point, but not from one line to another line that's not parallel.

irwin
2004-04-01, 09:56 PM
You can dimension between non-parallel lines, without adding a ref plane or detail line. In the dimension command, pick one of the lines and then pick the desired endpoint of the other line. You could also pick the endpoint first, but that requires tabbing.

If that isn't sufficient for the case at hand then please post a picture of the desired dimension.

beegee
2004-04-01, 10:11 PM
Here's an example of a case where detail lines are required for a non parallel dimension.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1938

irwin
2004-04-02, 05:19 AM
I see what you are asking for. You are trying to dimension not to the slanted line itself but to the point of intersection of the slanted line with the extension of the horizontal line. To do that you do need to draw a detail line. (If you didn't want the detail lines to show on the drawing you could draw one slanted detail line on top of the other line and ending at the extension of the horizontal line.)

beegee
2004-04-02, 06:27 AM
(If you didn't want the detail lines to show on the drawing you could draw one slanted detail line on top of the other line and ending at the extension of the horizontal line.)

Yes, or just make the detail lines invisible, or use reference planes.

Steve_Stafford
2004-04-02, 07:56 AM
We frequently have a need to describe either the exact or a relative distance to a "point" relative to an object. Like Beegee's image...we aren't telling a builder to use this dimension to construct the stairs as much as telling them that we need "this" much clearance at a minimum...so build accordingly.

Site bldg positioning for zoning compliance often requires the same sort of "arbitrary" dimension. These points don't fit the rules Revit requires us to abide by...it would be great if Revit could be more flexible about this, without the somewhat clunky need to add additional objects to do so.

mlgatzke
2004-04-02, 02:08 PM
just make the detail lines invisible

Beegee, detail lines don't have an "Invisible Line" option - Model Lines do. You'd have to turn all Detail Lines off in the Visibility Graphics, but then ALL Detail Lines would turn off in the view.

(edit) However, the ability to draw an invisible Detail Line would be handy.

beegee
2004-04-02, 10:28 PM
Beegee, detail lines don't have an "Invisible Line" option - Model Lines do. You'd have to turn all Detail Lines off in the Visibility Graphics, but then ALL Detail Lines would turn off in the view.

(edit) However, the ability to draw an invisible Detail Line would be handy.

Very handy ... and here it is ! (I don't recall when this was introduced. )

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1959

mlgatzke
2004-04-03, 04:13 AM
Wow! I learn something new every day.