PDA

View Full Version : metric to imperial conversion (vice versa)

Chris Matira
2006-01-17, 05:43 AM
if you ever need to convert a metric drawing into imperial (ie. meters to feet)... instead of using the traditional scale command, a neat trick is to insert the drawing to be converted as a block into an imperial template. all units will then be converted... when you explode the inserted block, even the dimensions will follow.

just make sure the your source drawing is in the proper units before inserting it to the template you want it to be converted into...

this works best in working with large drawings since it will take lesser time for your computer to process the command and dimensions are also adjusted...

robert.1.hall72202
2006-01-17, 03:06 PM
That is a good tip. I have lisp routines defined to scale between english and metric.
Your tip seems easier. I like the added benefit of getting the dimensions to change.

hkafakamoyo
2006-02-16, 09:53 AM
this is fascinating,i like it .i've been having this problem ,am changing imperial hardcopies into autocad 2005 ,i've never done imperial units never , is there a faster way of doing this, it's one my targets at the office,need help!!

Hannock Kafakamoyo
Drawing Office Supt.
Blantyre Water Board ,Malawi.

Chris Matira
2006-02-16, 12:01 PM
this is fascinating,i like it .i've been having this problem ,am changing imperial hardcopies into autocad 2005 ,i've never done imperial units never , is there a faster way of doing this, it's one my targets at the office,need help!!

Hannock Kafakamoyo
Drawing Office Supt.
Blantyre Water Board ,Malawi.

did i get it right, you are converting imperial hardcopies... so this means your converting your hardcopies into softcopies in acad2005 version...

well, the best way to do this quickly is to use Raster Design... it's an acad add-on... you need first to have your hardcopies scanned, then insert it as a raster image on acad...

Raster Design has features which could help you in your problem... quickly and easily!

hkafakamoyo
2006-02-16, 01:59 PM
did i get it right, you are converting imperial hardcopies... so this means your converting your hardcopies into softcopies in acad2005 version...

well, the best way to do this quickly is to use Raster Design... it's an acad add-on... you need first to have your hardcopies scanned, then insert it as a raster image on acad...

Raster Design has features which could help you in your problem... quickly and easily!

hi,
you got it right Chris, thanx very much,i have to go for raster design training.

oompa_l
2008-12-16, 07:49 PM
ok, I know this is old, but I could use some help figuring out how to convert my metric drawings to imperial given the aforementioned strategy. I have an imperial template ready to go, and a metric drawing which I have inserted into this drawings as a block. I made sure the INSUNITS was set to 1 which is inches, but I can't seem to locate something that might tell autocad that the drawing being inserted is in millimetres. The insert drawing prompt window has an area called Block Unit and there is says that drawing is "unitless" - i think this is where the problem is - how do I change this?

I need my dimensions to change to imperial, along with the drawn lines themselves.

thanks for the help in advance..

tedg
2008-12-16, 08:16 PM
ok, I know this is old, but I could use some help figuring out how to convert my metric drawings to imperial given the aforementioned strategy. I have an imperial template ready to go, and a metric drawing which I have inserted into this drawings as a block. I made sure the INSUNITS was set to 1 which is inches, but I can't seem to locate something that might tell autocad that the drawing being inserted is in millimetres. The insert drawing prompt window has an area called Block Unit and there is says that drawing is "unitless" - i think this is where the problem is - how do I change this?

I need my dimensions to change to imperial, along with the drawn lines themselves.

thanks for the help in advance..
Here's some info that may be of some help, check these variables on each drawing:
INSUNITS - Specifies a drawing-units value for automatic scaling of blocks, images, or xrefs inserted or attached to a drawing.
INSUNITSDEFSOURCE - Sets source content units value when INSUNITS is set to 0. Valid range is 0 to 20.
INSUNITSDEFTARGET - Sets target drawing units value when INSUNITS is set to 0. Valid range is 0 to 20.

Also look at This Thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=310336#post310336) for further information.

I hope this helps

jaberwok
2008-12-16, 08:24 PM
For the geometry, just scale the block up by 25.4 then Explode it.
For the dimensions, change them to your normal imperial Dimstyle.

oompa_l
2008-12-16, 09:29 PM
jaberwok, are you saying that the earlier post, the one that suggested that the dims already drawn would be automatically scaled, is not right? i was hoping that the metric dimension lines would just auto-correct themselves.

all those references I had discovered before - still I am not understanding what to do...I have the insunits down, just not understanding how to get autocad to understand that the file being inserted is drawn in millimeters.

jaberwok
2008-12-17, 09:50 AM
I'm going to back up a bit.
The original suggestion does work but you need to open your metric file and set INSUNITS to 4 (for mm) and save it. Then insert it in your imperial drawing with the Explode box in the Insert dialogue checked. (I don't see this bit mentioned in Help.)

oompa_l
2008-12-17, 09:31 PM
ok. it looks right now in the insert command - now the block unit says millimetres and factor says 0.039...but upon taking a dimensionof a 475 mm line becomes 39'-7" - clearly the mm are being read as inches.... I tried it just now with the explode option turned off, and I noticed that in the properties panel, under the Misc heading, the block unit is inches (not millimetres as it probably should be and the unit factor is 1"

also, the dims are still reading as their original metric values

help?

jaberwok
2008-12-17, 10:05 PM
and with Explode checked?

oompa_l
2008-12-17, 10:08 PM
same result - mm as inches, dims still reading their metric values - the only difference is that the constituent elemnts of the block are no longer inside the block, just lines and dims....

jaberwok
2008-12-17, 10:13 PM
Strange, it works for me (apart from the dimension components (arrow heads, text) being too large).

Can you post your template and a drawing (block) file here?