PDA

View Full Version : Revit SD questions

ron.sanpedro
2006-01-17, 09:38 PM
I am in the throes of trying to get my office to fully commit to Revit, and I am looking for some SD specific info.
Specifically, I know you can create massing models with levels and then schedule the resulting Gross Floor Areas. However, can you then subdivide the floors by specific occupancy or use, and schedule that as well as get nice color floor plans?
Also, can you schedule Exterior Wall Area and compare it to Gross Building Volume and Gross Floor Area to look at how exterior shell cost is affected by different forms?
And, if anyone has some other nifty SD specific tools/uses for Revit, I would love to know about them. I have seen the AU Schematic Design in Revit, but it seems to be mostly about form exploration, and less about form implications. I want to talk about both.

Thanks,
Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-01-17, 10:03 PM
Item 1:
Area Plans.
Item 2:
Export to Excel or a database. You might be able to do it in a multi-category schedule too. Depends on how you want the information sliced and diced.
Item 3:
You can plug the building programin before you even draw the building. Then as you draw you can see if you are above/below your space allocations. Very helpful in controling budget and preventing upward size creep of the project.

TheRevitGeek
2006-01-18, 11:17 PM
Gordon you can also add formulas to those Mass schedules to figure out say how many 800SF units you could get out of the mass. You can also break the masses up into typical corridors etc. and not calc those spaces. And do look here in Augi for a great example that Wes posted on Area plans and using those along with color fills. Hope this helps

Wes Macaulay
2006-01-19, 06:54 AM
Thanks Brian, though with building maker and the Revit massing tools my post about space planning (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4519)seems a lot less compelling.

You could use the massing model to get some initial gross areas, then make area plans and use the massing model as a starting point I guess. For what you're doing area plans are a lot easier and you can do it all in Revit.

Once you've got the areas broken down in the area plans you can create numerous color fill schemes to color the rooms by occupancy, department, whatever. If you want to print a set of drawings showing the same floor coloured by more than one use, simply duplicate the area plan in question and use a different color fill scheme on each plan.