PDA

View Full Version : Quick Select similar items

raddis
2006-01-18, 01:20 AM
In AutoCAD, I have Quick Select in the properties dialog box which allows me to quickly find all items matching a specific criteria.

Is there something similar in Revit? For example, say I create a bunch of lines scattered throughout my view(s) of teh HEAVY style, and I decide I want to change all of them to the MEDIUM style. How can I quickly select all of the HEAVY lines.

TIA.

aaronrumple
2006-01-18, 01:38 AM
Window all objects in the view. Hit the filter tool on the toolbar. Uncheck everything but the Heavy lines...

You can do the same thing several different ways. If you want to select all walls of a certian type, slect a wall, right click and select "Select all Instances". It will select all walls of the type in the entire project - even if they are out of view...

raddis
2006-01-18, 01:44 AM
Thanks Aaron.
It's a "reverse" technique from what I'm used to but it works.

aaronrumple
2006-01-18, 02:11 AM
Exactly.

AutoCAD uses a Verb/Noun Relationship. "Move Wall." It is, in fact, in this day and object oriented world about the only program that does this. Most programs use a Noun/Verb relationship. "Move Wall." This allows the workflow to be much less linear than AutoCAD as several verbs can be applied to the selected noun. "Wall, move and rotate, now get bigger..."

AutoCAD has been trying to get with the program with "Select first" but so much code is based on acquiring the selection set in the midst of the command.

Personally I prefer the Viz method of Pronoun/Noun/Verb. The filter can be set first. Then as objects are selected - those not matching the filter are ignored. "Mr." (Filters out my wife and child.) Rumple, jump." Or in Viz, "Geometry, Box 01, Move."

sbrown
2006-01-18, 02:35 AM
Even easier is to right click on an object and chose select similiar. That will grab all the heavy lines, then you can change their type. This works for all objects.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-01-18, 07:49 AM
OK Scott,

I was about to give you the big thumbs up because I've never noticed that option on my right click menu. Now I know why I never noticed it... it's not there! Either Create Similar or Select All Instances.
Are you using an R9 beta or something or do you get extra functionality when you have more than 2000 posts? :-)

blads
2006-01-18, 08:12 AM
OK Scott,

I was about to give you the big thumbs up because I've never noticed that option on my right click menu. Now I know why I never noticed it... it's not there! Either Create Similar or Select All Instances.
Are you using an R9 beta or something or do you get extra functionality when you have more than 2000 posts? :-)bugger... if its 2000+ posts I 've got a ways to go... :) I'm hoping it's a v9 goodie

sbrown
2006-01-18, 02:39 PM
No its in release 8.1, check it out again.

Steve_Stafford
2006-01-18, 03:17 PM
No its in release 8.1, check it out again. You wrote "Select Similar" while meaning "Select All Instances", that is the source of the confusion...fwiw.

sbrown
2006-01-18, 06:29 PM
good catch.

TheRevitGeek
2006-01-18, 09:56 PM
Select Similar (dare I say it) is an ADT term, I sometime say that also just because of old habits. So I had no confusion from Scott. :)

brianlee
2011-08-11, 06:24 PM
Finally! Something we've all been waiting for...
Check out the Quick Select Add-In for Revit by CAD Masters. The tool is similar to QSELECT found in AutoCAD. Here's the blog post about the announcement:
http://www.thecadmasters.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/08/10/revit-quick-select/