PDA

View Full Version : Array Trusses

ghero
2006-01-18, 03:48 PM
How to array a truss at 4' on center? I built a simple truss in Modeling-Create using a framing elevation at column line. After saving the family, the truss shows up in 3D exactly like it should. For some reason I can copy or array the truss. It seems like I can only move or copy the truss within the plane of the column line - as if it's stuck to the column line plane. I tried making a truss referenced to a named reference plane, but that didn't work either.
What am I doing wrong?

Justin Marchiel
2006-01-18, 03:54 PM
to add to this i have a beam on a sloped reference plane and i can't seem to copy to mirror it either. I think that is has do with the fact that the beam is attached to the reference plane, but if i try to mirror both the beam and reference plane, it doesn't work.

i dont know if these 2 issue are related, but i figure i would ask anyways.

Justin

truevis
2006-01-18, 04:22 PM
I'd try using a beam system.

sbrown
2006-01-18, 06:26 PM
It sounds like you made and inplace family, therefore it is associated with the plane you created it on. You should create repetative elements as "true families" and load them, then place them as needed.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2006-01-24, 02:54 PM
Ghero,

Try Attached truss

Mr Spot
2006-01-24, 04:17 PM
to add to this i have a beam on a sloped reference plane and i can't seem to copy to mirror it either. I think that is has do with the fact that the beam is attached to the reference plane, but if i try to mirror both the beam and reference plane, it doesn't work.

i dont know if these 2 issue are related, but i figure i would ask anyways.

Justin

You can also try the disassociate work plane option by selecting beam and hitting the button. This should allow it to move in the other plane. alternatively you could copy and paste in same place then draw a reference plane parallel to where you want the other beam then edit workplane of the beam and change to the new reference plane.

HTH.

Damo
2006-01-24, 04:45 PM
How to array a truss at 4' on center? I built a simple truss in Modeling-Create using a framing elevation at column line. After saving the family, the truss shows up in 3D exactly like it should. For some reason I can copy or array the truss. It seems like I can only move or copy the truss within the plane of the column line - as if it's stuck to the column line plane. I tried making a truss referenced to a named reference plane, but that didn't work either.
What am I doing wrong?Don't know whether this helps, but I've seen a roof truss built using the railing tool. As the Sketch Line is extended, more roof trusses are added to the model, just in the same way as more balusters are added to a handrail as it increases in length.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2006-01-24, 06:12 PM
FREE PARAMETRIC TRUSS ATTACHED PREVIOUSLY?????:banghead:

I DON'T GET IT?????

Mike Hardy-Brown
2006-01-24, 06:19 PM
2 MORE TRUSSES...STILL FREE.....

I Just don't get it??? are we the only ones using timber for trusses, that are...dare I say NOT in place but parametric:screwy::roll::shock:

rhys
2006-01-25, 11:02 AM

I Just don't get it??? are we the only ones using timber for trusses, that are...dare I say NOT in place but parametric:screwy::roll::shock:
No I've used one of your trusses as the basis of a Cotswold Oak Framed Loft!!
Yes its in there, only slightly modified, thanks Mike

Shaun v Rooyen
2006-01-25, 11:23 AM

Hey! I am back from my well earned 4 week vacation.Still got sand in my eye's.

Well Mike. I think I have brought this up 100000 times. Why use in-place Families? To me it just doesn't make sense, RE-USE as apposed to project specific.

Here is a tip for creating a family! If you need to work from a reference, just export your section view to dwg and re-import it into the family(current view only) in elevation. That will give you some structure to work from.

However, to fix the problem of the in-place family not being able to array, simply mirror it without copy over itself. That will disassociate the object from the work plane. Now array that.