PDA

View Full Version : Curtain wall vs Curtain System...

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-18, 06:57 PM
If i use a Blend to make a wall that isnt perfectly vertical... Or one that twists as it rises, why do i have to use a curtain system instead of a wall? And even with a curtain system, why are some types of glazing simply not possible to use?

Its not a huge ordeal, im more curious for method reasons... But for rendering too, i cant really change between any different types of glass with the system, because only a few of them work. The regular glass glazing just says *cannot use blah blah* lol...

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-01-18, 07:53 PM
Not sure what limitations you're running into (post an example) but the basic difference between curtain walls and curtain systems is that walls are limited to a vertical workplane. A curtain system takes a non-planar surface or non-vertical plane and rationalizes it into a series of flat planes to conform as closely to the surface as possible.
In my experience Revit can pretty much create a curtain system out of any surface. If it can't then, odds are, your glazing contractor won't be able too either.
As for swapping styles, just define curtain systems with the same properties as the curtain walls you want to use.

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-18, 08:09 PM
Thanks... I realized what was wrong. As silly as this sounds, i was questioning the difference becuase i was making some vertical walls, and some non-vertical walls... And i couldnt get the glass on the curtain *system* to render the same way. The glass was insanely dark, and you couldnt see through it, and i was thinking it was a standard setting in the curtain system, which made me question the diff.

I realized what it was tho, was i was in materials, and i kept changing the material of the curtain system to *glass*, but i hadnt gone in and changed the material properties for *glass* in the Materials dialogue...

Thanks for explaining the diff tho, cuz no one in our office had a good explanation...