PDA

View Full Version : Landscape plans

taltre
2004-04-02, 05:00 PM
I am considering migrating to Revit, but I need to see more construction documents. I am specifically looking to see plan views that show exterior landscape details like trees and shrub masses. These details show well in 3D, but how well are they expressed in 2D? If anyone can post a few DWFs, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

sbrown
2004-04-02, 06:02 PM
While you can easily create detail symbols for landscape plans, I have seen no examples of this using revit. We usually have a landscape designer who would do those drawings. You can convert whatever symbols you are currently usiing, plans elevations/ sections into plant families and do a great job with revit. I just haven't needed to do it yet.

Yman
2004-04-03, 04:22 PM
We have done 2d landscape plans for site applications with the city here. I will post it when I get back into office on Monday or create a link to where you can look at it.

And yes, everybody, I am still alive, just not much time to post lately. Hopefully will be able to do so soon and more often.

Y

taltre
2004-04-05, 06:55 PM
A Revit user has informed me that complex hatch patterns (the kind that often get used on landscape plans) do not import well into Revit from Autocad. I have found hatch patterns to generally be an import issue between CAD packages. Will Revit hatch patterns (if plans are drawn in it) export out of Revit to Autocad? Autodesk claims that Revit will manage and update Autocad drawings that are part of the project. Does anyone use Revit and Autocad in this way. Is it recomended? Or should a project be completely done in Revit?

Thanks

sbrown
2004-04-05, 08:21 PM
We do do it, but there are some issues. In a perfect world it is much nicer to have everything done in revit. Revit does export fairly well to autocad but some cleanup may need to be done. The main issues are hatches that are in perspective in revit will be weird in autocad, ie a roof hatch or and angled/curved wall in elevation may have the hatch distorted in autocad. Landscape hatches I wouldn't forsee any issues since they will be ortho plan views, typically.

taltre
2004-04-06, 04:12 PM
Scott,

Thank you for your replys. Here are are few more questions for you (and a request).

Does your landscape designer work in Revit at all, or just a 2D CAD package? Do you do any rendering with foliage? Can you share any examples of 2D or 3D work with me? I am interested in images and plans that show the interface between the house and the landscape.

Thanks,
Jacob Baron-Taltre

taltre
2004-04-07, 12:11 AM
Here are a couple of drawings. One is a landscape plan done in Autocad. The other is an image using FormZ to create a quick general layout and Photoshop to sketch in some foliage. This is a quick sketch-render so the client can get an idea what things are going to look like. While I know that Revit can do great photorealistic renderings, I am not necessarily interested in making my computer chew all night long to render a foliage intense environment. I would prefer faster renders (FormZ's hidden line can be quick if the environment is simple). Photoshop time might take longer, but clients sometimes respond well to the sketchiness.

I realize that Sketchup might be a rendering option. Does Sketchup render foliage and trees well?

---
Jacob Baron-Taltre

beegee
2004-04-07, 12:50 AM
Hi Jacob,

I really like your drawings, nice work.

http://sketchup.com/gallery.php?gcid=2 is a link to SketchUps Gallery for Landscape and Planning.

I doubt you're going to be able to match the style of your work in SketchUp, by the look of their samples.

Roger Evans
2004-04-13, 07:39 PM
Nice work

I think maybe the sketch could be enhanced by spots of mixed colour with black & white as main sketch

As regards Revit Accurender have you tried colour render then exporting
to a paint program to soften the edges?

Would like to see more if possible

Roger

hdjohnson
2004-05-20, 04:14 PM
I was also debating whether or not to do our landscape drawings in Revit or Autocad. Can anyone post some screen captures, dwf, jpeg, any kind of example of landscape dwgs they've done in Revit?

Anything would be greatly appreaciated.

bob.69742
2004-06-17, 03:00 PM
taltre,

I have been using Revit since version 4.5 and I have the same complaint about the Revit product. I have expressed my concern & suggestions regarding improving the landscaping features of this product. I am currently using a trial version of Landcadd fromEagle Point software. www.eaglepoint.com I have also checked out several inks to landscape architect websites and this seems to be the most mentioned software. I exported my site plan from Revit in dwg format so I can open it in Autocad. So far it is working O.K. but if Revit would just spend a little time developing their landscaping they would have a far superior product. I try NEVER to go back to Autocad if I don't have to. Once you get over the Revit learning curve (you have to forget most everything about Autocad) you will ask yourself, why does anyone still use Autocad?.