PDA

View Full Version : Solid with all edges filleted

kprukov
2006-01-19, 10:52 AM
I´m testing out Revit capabilities in drawing imported solids that has features added. Right now I am testing with a box that has all edges filleted. This box don't display correctly in hidden line or elevation mode. In an elevation this box should show up as a rectangle with rounded corners, but there are no display of these curves in the corners that would show the radius of fillets added to edges of the box.

I don't seem to find a way for Revit to project 3D geometry into 2D that would make it useful for making drawings of, for example, a chair that is modeled to high detail in for example Rhino.

So I wonder: -Can I control the way Revit projects 3D geometry and makes 2D drawings of it?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Student of architecture in Sweden.

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 02:04 PM
The radius is probably too small. Revit is designed for building scaled objects. When you get down to very small radii in 3D the curve is tessellated into facets that my be too coarse to display the fine level of detail I expect is in your imported file.

Mark Vorstenbosch
2006-01-19, 02:50 PM
Hi kprukov

If I understand you right this is what you would like to do as a test.(box)

This is done as a In-place /generic model/ family.
Solid form / solid extrude with solid void/ solid extrude.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-01-19, 03:41 PM
I did this with a Viz model exported to dwg and then imported into Revit. After I imported the cube I turned the visibility option on the cube to only show the geometry in fine and Medium. I then traced the upper Geometry with symbolic lines or Model lines, and made there visibility able to show in Course only. I hope this helps (I might be interpreting the question wrong though)

The cool thing about the way Mark did it is that you could add parameters to flex his model. mine is just a dumb cube.

kprukov
2006-01-19, 07:19 PM
The fillets not showing up correctly in hidden line view was caused by different radii on some edges of the box.

As you can see I'm testing how Revit display imported geometry in hidden line mode. The objects I have tested with shows up nicely when they are only shaded. I was testing this to see if I could use Revit for documenting, not only buildings, but also objects with more elaborate geometry.

Thanks for your replies.

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 07:20 PM
... but also objects with more elaborate geometry.

Thanks for your replies.
For manufactured items like furniture - Inventor is the tool.