PDA

View Full Version : Hatching Question, relating to yesterdays take off discussion...

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-19, 04:16 PM
Okay, so i understand that its not a good idea to have a wall type that models every block of CMU in a wall. I tried it once in Catia, it was brutal on the hardware.

BUT... heres my issue now: When people in the office are detailing walls sections, they are covering up the cut pattern with a blank filled region (or putting the detail level on coarse) and they are adding detail component Masonry blocks to the section. OR... (and this was a casue for concern for me) they were turned the walls off in the VG settings, and drawing them in with the comps. This meant when i changed a wall, i was surprised it didnt change, lol.

So what im wondering, is can i make a cut pattern for a wall that is an array of cmu blocks? Granted, it will have issues at bond beams, etc... But im just curious how many of you have done this already, as im a n00b... I checked Revitcity for fill patterns, but didnt find any good ones for wall sections... I saw a bunch of reading here when i searched, but thats for this weekend, lol...

sbrown
2006-01-19, 04:56 PM
you could use the repeating detail command and align and lock it to your wall.

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-19, 05:09 PM
True... Im mainly asking becuase im testing the waters out to see whats worthwhile to make the program do for us, becuase heres my issue with that solution... Someone drew a wall that was 8 inch block, hid the wall in the VG and detailed the 8 inch CMU's. The wall didnt move, it changed size. Then we looked at the section, and nothing had changed at all, becuase the wall was hidden and thsoe were just drafted details. Its great modeling, becuase it keeps everything linked. Im just trying to incorporate our details without losing (or hiding) that link. If the 8 inch CMU wall was hatched with something similar to the detail, and so was the 12 inch CMU wall... Then it wouldnt have had to be hidden, you know?

Its minor, and maybe its not efficient, im just curious what our limits are...

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 05:17 PM
True... Im mainly asking becuase im testing the waters out to see whats worthwhile to make the program do for us, becuase heres my issue with that solution... Someone drew a wall that was 8 inch block, hid the wall in the VG and detailed the 8 inch CMU's. The wall didnt move, it changed size. Then we looked at the section, and nothing had changed at all, becuase the wall was hidden and thsoe were just drafted details. Its great modeling, becuase it keeps everything linked. Im just trying to incorporate our details without losing (or hiding) that link. If the 8 inch CMU wall was hatched with something similar to the detail, and so was the 12 inch CMU wall... Then it wouldnt have had to be hidden, you know?

Its minor, and maybe its not efficient, im just curious what our limits are...
Beat that user....

Yes the CMU of the wall should have been retained in the view and only the detail of the joints (and maybe core if you are really picky need to be added to the view.

Chris DiSunno
2006-01-19, 05:19 PM
I understand your concern, and agree. However, I think we still need to remain vigalent in coordination and not rely to heavily on the computer to get it right.

TheRevitGeek
2006-01-19, 05:39 PM
Just a thought on the repeating detail. Rather than put all the blocks in (and this depends on exactly what you want) why don't you just put in the mortar joints and or the mortar infill on the cmu so if the wall changes thickness the only thing wrong will be the mortar joints to narrow. In the brick walls I use I usually have the wall with the hatch pattern (diagonal lines) in it then just do a repeating detail of mortar so if the thickness changes my mortar is just a bit short and not the entire brick line

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-19, 06:22 PM
Beat that user....

Yes the CMU of the wall should have been retained in the view and only the detail of the joints (and maybe core if you are really picky need to be added to the view.

The CMU should have been retained? Do you mean the general cross hatching of the whole wall type? Becuase they like to show the block courses in the wall sections, and there isnt a wall type that has that, unless we just dont have it...

Chris- Im with you, entirely. And im not looking to circumvent responsibilty or competance in any way. We caught the section instantly, it just seemed silly to me to be modeling, then havng to redraft a section anyway. I agree its completely our responsibilty to be vigilant, im just looking to make sure were being efficient, as well.

Brian, we could, its just office standards i suppose.

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 06:42 PM
The CMU should have been retained? Do you mean the general cross hatching of the whole wall type? Becuase they like to show the block courses in the wall sections, and there isnt a wall type that has that, unless we just dont have it...
.Sounds like you haven't discovered fine/medium and coarse levels of detail?

See attached example. Image 1 shows what is modeled. Image 2 shows what is detailed. The masonry is done with repeating details. (Note that the detail doesn't need to be the whole brick like in this example - just the mortar joints. We used the full brick here because these were detail groupswhich also related to some drafting only views. We wanted them to both update at when edited.) Image 3 shows the completed drawing.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-01-19, 07:21 PM
Am I reading this correct you want a detail to show in a section wherever you cut it?

I dont think you can. :???: the funny thing is you can put a detail (Kawneer profile) in a curtain wall and wherever you cut the section it shows the detail. you can even take it further and turn on the visibility levels of that profile to show fine detail or course detail. It only makes sense to be able to do that in any family or element wall, door, window etc...

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 08:00 PM
Am I reading this correct you want a detail to show in a section wherever you cut it?

I dont think you can. :???:
You can, but for mortar joints, you don't want to.

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-19, 09:07 PM
Sounds like you haven't discovered fine/medium and coarse levels of detail?

See attached example. Image 1 shows what is modeled. Image 2 shows what is detailed. The masonry is done with repeating details. (Note that the detail doesn't need to be the whole brick like in this example - just the mortar joints. We used the full brick here because these were detail groupswhich also related to some drafting only views. We wanted them to both update at when edited.) Image 3 shows the completed drawing.

Okay, im sorry im not explaining this well. I understand the level of details (coarse/fine)...

Heres what i want to do: In youre first image (just the *whats modeled*) I want to change the hatch style for the brick facade, so instead of diagonal evenly spaced lines, it is the brick courses.

I understand that things like insulation, sill plates, etc. will have to be added in as details, becuase its not realistic to model it all. But at our office, the wont leave that brick hatch as it, they want the courses showing. So if that were here, wed be covering up that wall with a blank hatch (or shutting it off in VG, ugh...) and using a rep. detail on top of it. They cant shut off the hatch with the coarse setting, as it kills the rest of the dwg's detail as well.

All i want to do, is edit the hatch used in the cut pattern of a wall type, to make the hatch be coursings... It seems doable, i just dont know how,lol...

aaronrumple
2006-01-19, 09:20 PM
Okay, im sorry im not explaining this well. I understand the level of details (coarse/fine)...

So if that were here, wed be covering up that wall with a blank hatch (or shutting it off in VG, ugh...) and using a rep. detail on top of it. They cant shut off the hatch with the coarse setting, as it kills the rest of the dwg's detail as well.

All i want to do, is edit the hatch used in the cut pattern of a wall type, to make the hatch be coursings... It seems doable, i just dont know how,lol...
No you can't set the section to an appropriate hatch, becuase it would need to be a model hatch and model hatch isn't used in section - just drafting hatches. Drafting hatches won't work, becuse they are scale independent. At different scales the hatch would give you the wrong size coursing.

Set brick to no hatch in section. Then use a repeating detail. Again there is no reason to "cover up" the model.

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-19, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=aaronrumple]No you can't set the section to an appropriate hatch, becuase it would need to be a model hatch and model hatch isn't used in section - just drafting hatches. Drafting hatches won't work, becuse they are scale independent. At different scales the hatch would give you the wrong size coursing.

QUOTE]

Got ya. Thats what i was missing entirely. Oh well. The repeating pattern thing works fine, i was just seeing if i could intergrate it, but no big deal...

Thanks for pointing that out tho...