PDA

View Full Version : I know this isn't a photoshop forum, but...

Kroke
2006-01-19, 08:41 PM
I'm a total n00b with photoshop. I have an image that I want to...how do I say, distress the edges, or maybe cloud them out (fading to white) at an irregular motion. Does anyone know how to do this? Or how about a link to a forum where I might have more direction?

I thought I'd check here since you guys were posting photoshop images the other day.

TIA,

JJ

Smalley
2006-01-19, 08:48 PM
I'm a total n00b with photoshop. I have an image that I want to...how do I say, distress the edges, or maybe cloud them out (fading to white) at an irregular motion. Does anyone know how to do this? Or how about a link to a forum where I might have more direction?

I thought I'd check here since you guys were posting photoshop images the other day.

TIA,

JJ

a very awesome free tutorial site:

http://www.good-tutorials.com/

Smalley
2006-01-19, 08:51 PM
Whenever I add an effect, I like to duplicate the layer, select the inside of the photo you want to remain unchanged, copy-paste to a new layer and then turn off the original layer. No now you have a duplicated layer(full image) and a selection layer(part of image you want unchanged). Know you can apply the filter to the duplicate layer, but part of the image remains unchanged, creating a cool effect, like a blur as seen in the image below...

Smalley
2006-01-19, 08:54 PM
Another use of the duplicate layer-crop portion out method, is to highlight people, in this image the two people in color were subjects of an article, so I wanted them to stand out. I also switched the can he was holding from a Coors light can to a vintage 1963 coke can...my accuracy wasn't that crucial, since the photo was a small image within an article, but the color vs. gray is obvious, as with the red can...

J. Grouchy
2006-01-19, 08:59 PM

TIA,

JJ
A few ideas:

A - You can use the "feather..." tool. Select the center area (then right-click and inverse the selection to just select the edges). Right click, choose feather and select the number of pixels to grade then hit the delete key. That will give you the first image below...you may have to play with the number to get the fade correct.

B - You can use the erase tool with various brush type and sizes. The second image below is using the airbrush at 100.

C - You can use the gradient tool using various "modes" (normal, dissolve, etc.)...but that one is much harder to control and to get to look right; plus it often ends up looking too symmetrical. The third image below is using a radial gradient overlay (reversed) using the "blending options" in the layer toolbar.

I'm sure there are other ways to do what you are going for. Having town edges and the like are more involved than I could get into right now. Mine are VERY quick studies...more time spent on each would look much nicer, but you get the idea.

Kroke
2006-01-19, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys for the pointers. I wish I only had the time (and drive) to learn more PS. Here's a good laugh...here's my first editing job:

lol forget it...I'll wait to post something later that's not so embarassing!

Thanks again everyone, really appriciate it in such a pinch!

JJ

Smalley
2006-01-19, 11:20 PM
My latest photoshop creation. Take a sloppy dressed employee, and make him look professional. Photo was included in a newsletter.