PDA

View Full Version : Backward compatability

designer56644
2004-04-04, 01:49 PM
Hey all,

Are 6.1 files backward compatable w/ 6.0 or any earlier ver.'s?

tia

Bill

slb
2004-04-04, 03:03 PM
They are not. Releases within a version (I.E. any release labeled 6.1) create data that is compatable between them, and all data is upward compatable, but no data created in a later release is compatable in earlier releases.

designer56644
2004-04-05, 01:54 PM
Thanks Steve...

ejburrell67787
2004-04-06, 11:11 AM
Why isn't there an export to Revt 6.0 format in 6.1??? Exporting to dwg etc is included so why not earlier revit releases???

Elrond

designer56644
2004-04-06, 03:14 PM
Hi Elrond

I don't know if this policy has been in effect since revit began development, but i do know that autodesk in general has not been generous at all regarding backwards compatibility issues with prog's like adt. This topic has been bludgeoned over in the adt ng, and reflects some core prob's that plague adesk's biz model in my op. Perhaps it has been adressed in adt 2005.

I have a friend with a seat of 5... I really, really need to bring him on board, but I can't because he can't communicate with my drawings. Neato. My ONLY option is to purchase a seat for a part-timer i may use for overflow and consulting from time to time. Nice...

Steve_Stafford
2004-04-06, 03:18 PM
Because this isn't lines, circles and arc's...older versions would have no way to represent the bldg model objects that are different in the new version, most likely rendering your bldg model "useless" in an older version format.

In AutoCAD or ADT even the new features in new versions are rendered "dumb" or "dumber" to get them to an older version. So the question is...(assuming you could export to earlier versions) of what use is a "dumb" or inflexible or non-parametric export of a Revit bldg other than to a dwg for background consultant use?

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-04-06, 04:34 PM
My ONLY option is to purchase a seat for a part-timer i may use for overflow and consulting from time to time. Nice...

I know this doesn't really address the compatibility issue but if it suits the job, and abilities, your colleague can always do preliminary and layout work for you in R5 and then you can import at a later stage to R6.

Just a thought; there have been several threads 'complaining' about the fact that files created in and earlier release that are linked into newer versions don't automatically upgrade the linked files. So.... if the logistics work the outside party could work in R5, you could link that file into your current project and it would just keep it as R5. :?: (Either that might work or I need another cup of coffee :? I'll have to try it sometime and report back)

PeterJ
2004-04-07, 07:51 AM
Also, your friend can download and register 6.1 and still do his own work in 5, unless he has forsworn subscription. If that later situation is the case you don't need to shell out for a seat for your part-timer, just for his subscription at worst.