PDA

View Full Version : sloped beams

jawhite
2006-01-20, 03:42 PM
I am currently traning on revit structure using the tutorial.

For steel beam framing that slopes .....How does one get the one end to slope ?

Tom Weir
2006-01-20, 03:51 PM
Hi,
You cannot lift up one end of a beam yet. That functionality is coming in the near future hopefully. At present you need to make a reference plane, or use the underside of the sloping deck as a reference plane, and then draw your beam in plan. If the reference angle changes the beam will stay attached and change also.
This method works reasonably well for flat plane roofs such as a residential roof. Unfortunately for flat roofs that slope to drains it is extremely difficult to model, because those types of roof are warped surfaces which Revit can't handle yet.

Revit is well aware of the limitations and is developing new methods for us.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

ryanmcin
2006-01-20, 03:59 PM
Do you want to slope the entire beam, or do you want to slope the top of the beam and leave the bottom flat?

If you want to slope the entire beam I have been achieving that by creating reference planes to represent the slope I want and then drawing on that plane. The ends will be a mess if you are trying to model the connections with detail so you will need to cut the ends of the beam using the cut geometry tool. To do this you need to create another reference plane at each end of the beam where you want the cut to occur, active the cut geometry command, choose the beam, then chose the reference plane.

If you want to slope the top of the beam and leave the bottom flat then you will need to create a new family for that profile and use a blend to create your shape.