PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Muntins (Filtering them out of a schedule)

dsw98
2006-01-20, 07:04 PM
How do I hide Mutins in a schedule?

Matt Brennan
2006-01-20, 07:07 PM
Edit the schedule? What do you mean exactly? Can you please post an example?

dsw98
2006-01-20, 07:09 PM
My mutins are showing up in my window schedule and I don't want them to. I'm able to hide a colum bit I need to be able to hide the row, which isn't an option.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-01-20, 07:12 PM
I'm guessing you mean muntins? Have you tried filtering them out of the schedule?

dsw98
2006-01-20, 07:17 PM
I'm guessing you mean muntins? Have you tried filtering them out of the schedule?

Yes that's what I mean, duh :-). Yes I've tried but can't figure it out. Muntins aren't an option.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-01-20, 09:31 PM
Devin,
Please post the window family you are using so I can see how it schedules as well as a copy of the schedule you have set up. Just copy and paste it from a sheet view into a new project.

dsw98
2006-01-20, 10:52 PM
Well I couldn't ever figure out how to get the muntins to work inside the window family and get them to adjust to my window sizes. So I just have the muntins as a seperate family inside the project and attached it to the front of the window. I tried to attach a pretty empty project but it's still too large.

Matt Brennan
2006-01-20, 11:52 PM
This question is still unclear to me. Not being able to view the file, it makes it very hard to understand your question.
Are you referring about the "scheduling fields"? If so, just remove the field from your schedule. See the attached jpeg for a better understanding.

If the file is too big, then maybe attach some screen shots.

dsw98
2006-01-21, 01:10 AM
Okay let me try to clearify. I have my window schedule. Fields include size, type, material, ect. So say I have 35 windows total in the schedule. Well the muntins are also being calculated into my schedule. They show up as a Generic muntin family. So right along with my 4050, 5050, 3050 window's ect. these muntins are there in the schedule. I thought there was a setting somewhere inside a family that you could check or uncheck so that it would or wouldn't be added to a schedule, I just can't find it. I've attached a screen shot of my schedule. The muntins show up at the bottom of the schedule.

iru69
2006-01-21, 02:54 AM
There might be a "better" way to do this then what I'm about to suggest, but this is a technique I use all the time when stuff shows up on schedules that I don't want to show up. I use the filter in the schedule. For instance, you could set up a filter to filter out any components with a "Number" of "Z". So in the schedule filter, you would filter any Type Mark that does not equal Z.

I like to set up a schedule filter for an Type Mark greater than 0. For all components that I don't want to show up in the schedule, I change their type mark to 0.

Don't mean to pick on you Devin, but I see this issue on the forum all the time - it makes things *so* much easier when there's a screenshot, posted family, etc. to see. It lets everyone learn and makes the forum much more valuable when everyone can understand the problems other people are running into.

dsw98
2006-01-23, 05:57 AM
There might be a "better" way to do this then what I'm about to suggest, but this is a technique I use all the time when stuff shows up on schedules that I don't want to show up. I use the filter in the schedule. For instance, you could set up a filter to filter out any components with a "Number" of "Z". So in the schedule filter, you would filter any Type Mark that does not equal Z.

I like to set up a schedule filter for an Type Mark greater than 0. For all components that I don't want to show up in the schedule, I change their type mark to 0.

Don't mean to pick on you Devin, but I see this issue on the forum all the time - it makes things *so* much easier when there's a screenshot, posted family, etc. to see. It lets everyone learn and makes the forum much more valuable when everyone can understand the problems other people are running into.

Does the schedule I posted not have enough info in it? I tried you're idea and it worked. I was never really sure how the filter worked, but now I do. Thanks,

iru69
2006-01-23, 07:42 AM
Does the schedule I posted not have enough info in it? I tried you're idea and it worked. I was never really sure how the filter worked, but now I do. Thanks,
Yes, the schedule you posted did have enough info - that was my point! If you had posted that with your original question, a lot of wasted effort could have been saved trying to figure out what your question was in the first place.

Glad to have helped.

PeterJ
2006-01-23, 11:44 AM
Just as an aside, the schedule reads as though you have the muntins placed in the project and placed over each actual window. Is this the case?

If so it would save you modelling time and scheuling time to simply nest them in the window families they affect.

dsw98
2006-01-23, 03:05 PM
Just as an aside, the schedule reads as though you have the muntins placed in the project and placed over each actual window. Is this the case?

If so it would save you modelling time and scheuling time to simply nest them in the window families they affect.

Yes that is the case actually. I could never figure out how to get the muntins the work properly inside the window family.

PeterJ
2006-01-23, 09:19 PM
Work on it and post your family here. Someone will help you out, usually. I tend to place the muntins /glazing bars/<your local geographic term here> in a single generic family that includes the glass, that way I can place the glazing and it all does what it needs to.

Take this one apart if you want to.....

Damo
2006-01-24, 12:30 AM
Take this one apart if you want to.....Just what I was looking for. Thanks Peter ;)

ddebaufre
2006-01-24, 01:26 PM
This is just a little off topic since I'm posting a door and you're talking about window muntins. I looked at the "sliding sash" window and see the grilles are part of the glass as he states. Check out this door, with and without grilles.(I call them grilles because... well just because thats what I called them. These are a nested family with a parameter set into them to give the ability to turn the grilles on and off within the project. This way they will "flex" with the door and also be able to have them or not, without having to edit the family or lose the glass. I think this is what the original poster wanted to do. no?

PeterJ
2006-01-24, 01:56 PM
I must have forgotten to have the on/off switch in the window family. I think the glazing bars are parametric for number in width, number in height in top sash, number in height in bottom sash and for size and width of bar.

dsw98
2006-01-24, 03:09 PM
This is just a little off topic since I'm posting a door and you're talking about window muntins. I looked at the "sliding sash" window and see the grilles are part of the glass as he states. Check out this door, with and without grilles.(I call them grilles because... well just because thats what I called them. These are a nested family with a parameter set into them to give the ability to turn the grilles on and off within the project. This way they will "flex" with the door and also be able to have them or not, without having to edit the family or lose the glass. I think this is what the original poster wanted to do. no?

Basicly yes. I haven't had the time to get into learning how to nest objects. So thanks for the window and door samples. Oh and Pete how do I convert your window (metric) into what we crazy americans call inches.

PeterJ
2006-01-25, 06:05 AM
Just import it into an imperial model and it will come in saying it's 3' 3.125676879" or some such and resize it to suit.