PDA

View Full Version : API type question: Replace Revit Thumbnail Image

Marek Brandstatter
2004-04-05, 03:27 PM
I guess this is a question for The Factory -

Is there a way to replace the thumbnail image stored within a Revit file with a diiferent image?

We are developing a Revit Content Manager and wish to use more attractive images/photographs/renderings and would prefer to plug them into the Revit file itself.

PeterJ
2004-04-05, 05:17 PM
When you save as you can determine exactly what view is used to create the thumbnail, for example if you place a jpg of your rendering or your own house on a detail view and then select to create the preview from that it will show that image when using a browser.

aaronrumple
2004-04-05, 05:55 PM
A. You can't place renderings in families which is what it seems the original post want's to do.

B. Do I really need a content browser? I have windows Explorer....

Marek Brandstatter
2004-04-05, 06:12 PM
First prize would be to replace the image programatically as this would allow for bulk processing.

Aaron - I'll start a thread sometime after Easter with screenshots of 'Revit Content Highway' and invite feedback. In the meantime if you're interested, take a look at how ArchiCAD 8.1 manages its content - very slick, very sleek.

jbalding48677
2004-04-06, 12:16 AM
B. Do I really need a content browser? I have windows Explorer....

Aaron to answer your question:

YES!!!

but thanks for asking.

Keep up the good work Marek.

gregcashen
2004-04-06, 01:26 AM
Agreed...especially it if it works like music/media tools such as iTunes or MusicMatch, wherein I can have the actual files wherever I want and then arrange them within the manager without having them actually move. Also if I could add metadata to the families with this...awesome!

GuyR
2004-04-06, 05:40 AM
Wherein I can have the actual files wherever I want and then arrange them within the manager without having them actually move

That would be very cool as long as the reorganisation is reflected in the load family dialog. It'd be confusing otherwise.

Also if I could add metadata to the families with this...awesome!

Any third party solution for this would have to be very careful in case Revit release their own interpretation of metadata storage. It'd be a shame to lose all that information.

Dare we say it... API. How about:
Extract parameter names/types for type catalogues.(save having to get the spellign rite)
Link parameters to external data -formulae.
Extract, update preview images.
Link metadata to families.

Guy

PeterJ
2004-04-06, 11:57 AM
Any third party solution for this would have to be very careful in case Revit release their own interpretation of metadata storage. It'd be a shame to lose all that information.

Also I have requested a 'reload from original location' command so that when updating a family it can be updated in the project more readily than at present. Wouldn't want that functionality lost.

bclarch
2004-04-06, 01:26 PM
Also I have requested a 'reload from original location' command so that when updating a family it can be updated in the project more readily than at present.

Great idea.

parleyburnett
2018-01-26, 01:13 PM
WOW. a 14 year old post, but still a relevant problem for most! Check out the Preview Image Generator, it will take care of all of this for your entire library! http://bit.ly/2gQXYVy

FlipperNic
2018-02-09, 06:36 PM
WOW. a 14 year old post, but still a relevant problem for most! Check out the Preview Image Generator, it will take care of all of this for your entire library! http://bit.ly/2gQXYVy

This actually looks pretty useful, but do every user really need their own license? If you have your family library on a server, wouldn't it be enough one user maintains this?