PDA

View Full Version : Parapet Wall w/ Coping

weston
2006-01-20, 11:11 PM
Hi All,
I am very new to Revit and I working on my first project. My firm is using me as a guinea pig to decide if we are going to implement the program.

My first major problem that I have ran into is trying to create a parapet wall with coping. I can easily create a three foot high wall but for whatever reason I cannot figure the coping out. I tried to create a sweep in the wall assembly using the coping detail item but the program would not let me do that. Am I going about this the wrong way. I think that creating an in place family would be the correct way, but I do not know how to do this. Can somebody help?

Thanks!

mikemck
2006-01-20, 11:22 PM
Select the wall

Click the properties button.

Then click edit.

Then click edit structure.

Be sure you have selected preview in the lower left corner and choose the section view.

Now you can add a coping sweep to the top of the wall.

weston
2006-01-23, 02:55 PM
I did try that but there are only stone or precast profile options. How do I create and use a different profile?

patricks
2006-01-23, 03:53 PM
Have you gone through the tutorials yet? I'm pretty sure it covers all of what you need. That was the biggest help for me learning the program.

aaronrumple
2006-01-23, 04:48 PM
...My firm is using me as a guinea pig to decide if we are going to implement the program....you know the guinea pig usually dies a horrible death in those clinical tests. ;-)

In general, I've noticed a lot of new users since the end of AU. Seems to me that Revit interest is on the rise. I've also noticed that it seems that offices are jumping in with no training. At the minimum, everyone should do the tutorials.

stuntmonkee
2006-01-23, 04:49 PM
Profiles are a bit confusing if you dont know the steps. But first let me drop in a different approach. Personally I dont like creating a wall type with profiles embedded in them for the simple fact that when you tag your walls. Example. Say you have a CMU wall. That CMU wall my have the coping that your talking about, or it may have some other decorative foam cap. In our firm this is still the same wall type. But if you embed the profile on the top, you would have to create 2 wall types. I think the idea of embedding profiles into walls is a great idea, but can often cause you to have to create many many more wall types and make it harder to keep track of what walls should be used where. We already have "6inch stud with 5/8" gyp ea side", and "1/2" ea side", and "4inch" and "mtl stud". . .we dont need to add another set of types to have "With Base" or "With Base & Double top plate & 5/8 one side with 1/2 one side". . .you can see how it gets out of hand. Again, just my opinion. Others might disagree.

My preference is to model the wall cap on top of the wall using the "Host Sweeps" under the modeling tab on the left hand side.

Next, the profile.

Profiles are very simple. The catch is that in a project you have a profile, and then you have the loaded profile family. When creating a profile in a project, you have to create a profile, and specify which family you would like to use as the default profile.

So the steps
1. Create a new Family, or open an existing profile family. Often its easier to start with an existing profile to get started so you can have an idea of how it works, just use the correct type to get started. If its a wall profile, then open a profile that is designed to work on a wall. When you open that profile, adjust the visibility so you can see the reference planes. The intersection of these planes is where the profile will attach. The key to drawing a profile is to make sure you form a loop w/ no over lap. If you get an error down the road saying it cant create the profile, you most likely have 2 staked lines or a gap in the loop.

2. load that family into your. Then proceed to Host sweeps, wall sweep. Up on the top left, hit the properties butting, and then edit/new. Hit duplicate, and name the profile "wall coping". Then if you notice, there under construction there is "profile", change that to the profile you just loaded. hit ok

3. Now select the top edge of the wall you wish to place the coping on. Good to go.

4. There are some more advanced features of doing this, IE adding detail, but grasp this and get back to us.

I spouted most of that from memory, but I think I got it right, if you have any questions, just shoot away.

weston
2006-01-23, 08:08 PM
That seemed to work. Thanks a lot!