PDA

View Full Version : divide property into equal size lots?

cliff collins
2006-01-23, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know a way to take an irregular shaped lot and divide it into equal size parcels? (other than trial and error!)

any help appreciated

cheers........

aaronrumple
2006-01-23, 04:42 PM
You'll know your target area based on the overall size of the property. Give it your best guess with the property line tools. Drop in a property tag. Then edit the linework to tweek the sizes.

cliff collins
2006-01-23, 05:13 PM
Hello, Aaron,

That was the "trial and error" way--is there some way w/computer tools
to take an irregular shaped lot and calculate/graphically show it equally
divided into "x" number of lots? I think Land Desktop or other civil cad programs
may have such a tool?

Cliff

gibson.tim91884
2006-01-23, 05:24 PM
...is there some way w/computer tools to take an irregular shaped lot and calculate/graphically show it equally divided into "x" number of lots? ...
Cliff

I doubt such a thing exists. How irregular is the lot shape? Curves? Angles? Ins and outs? Convex or concave shape?

How do you want it divided? If it's a quad, you could just subdivide at the midpoints... If not, do you want lines running north-south, east-west, parallel to a current boundary?

I think it's too open-ended for a general tool. If you can feed us some parameters, some mathematically-minded person may be able to give some guidance.

PeterJ
2006-01-23, 09:27 PM
Cliff

Without some rules you can't do what you are asking. Should all the parcels be rectangular, except those at the perimeter, which will be a stretched rectangle making up its area dependent on the edge form at that point, or do you prefer tesselating hexagons, triangles, parallelograms, or even a tesselating pattern using more than one shape? Even with rules it would be pretty difficult, however, I think it is a classic topological problem and there will be theorems to address it. You could look into soap bubble theory - bubbles can be encouraged to have equal surface area and hence will give a visual representation of what you are seraching for.

I'm reading this as a housing problem, or maybe light industrial/office campus. If that is so, you need a whole other set of rules for road layout etc.....It sounds like Aaron's highly evolved method is your baby.