PDA

View Full Version : Roof eaves and rafter tails

ctdrafting
2006-01-24, 04:23 AM
I think revit is a great program. Even though I just started 4 to 5 months ago learning revit, I was able to make design changes in front of the client utilizing the 3d modelling aspect. One suggestion that would be a great benefit would be the ability to easily change eaves and rafter tails on a roof. I think roof detailing should be important and the ability to have customizable roofs that have preattached custom eaves and rafter tails would be a great benefit to the program. The ability to create a residential roof and quickly click between say tuscany rafter tails or mediterranean cornice or even traditional fascia would be very helpful. Basically allow you to create a roof the way a roof is built. With all the detail, but quickly without having to make a custom roof profile or a void.

aggockel50321
2006-01-24, 12:53 PM
The ability to create a residential roof and quickly click between say tuscany rafter tails or mediterranean cornice or even traditional fascia would be very helpful.Have you tried using design options yet for something like this?

ctdrafting
2006-01-24, 05:52 PM
I know design options would help expedite the situation. The only thing is you still have to set up each eave condition. It would be nice if you could create a roof family or something one time so you wouldn't have to do it over and over again. Basically create the roof outline click finish roof. Next select eave style. Quick and easy.

kpaxton
2006-01-24, 06:43 PM
I know design options would help expedite the situation. The only thing is you still have to set up each eave condition. It would be nice if you could create a roof family or something one time so you wouldn't have to do it over and over again. Basically create the roof outline click finish roof. Next select eave style. Quick and easy.
WOW. Not a bad suggestion. I wonder, however, that being that there are (almost) an unlimited amount of conditions that could occur at these locations, it would be difficult for the program to anticipate these. That being said, I would agree that something - whatever it is- that would allow us to avoid the whole 'Let's Create it One More Time" syndrome.

I've been trying to make our own families to assist in making these conditions... bearable, but it's not easy because of some of the restrictions with the modeling tools. Basically creating Families that are flexible, that you can import, move, then adjust are working the best. There still are cleanup issues. Personally I don't know if I'd want a tool that specifically allowed me to do specific task like a mediterranean beamed soffit... I think I'd feel like I would be expected to 'use this' - I want control of what is being designed, not the tools telling me what to use. Now, if it were 'generic' like the railing tool.... then that would be fine...

my 2 cents,
Kyle