PDA

View Full Version : Is adding the second monitor worth it?

ckluver
2006-01-24, 03:17 PM
My department has decided to get some new systems for inventor. Our IT guy is pushing to get us 2 monitors. My thinking is that on their limited budget ~1500$ the cost of the second monitor is better served in upgrading the CPU, RAM, and video card. Can anybody tell me which answer is true?

jonathan.landeros
2006-01-24, 05:08 PM
My department has decided to get some new systems for inventor. Our IT guy is pushing to get us 2 monitors. My thinking is that on their limited budget ~1500$ the cost of the second monitor is better served in upgrading the CPU, RAM, and video card. Can anybody tell me which answer is true?I don't typically use 2 monitors myself (I'm on a laptop), but I can see myself using them if the opportunity presented itself. I have a few friends who swear by them, since they can have Inventor on one screen, and Word Docs, Spread Sheets, Spec docs, etc, on the other screen.

That being said, IMHO, I probably wouldn't sacrifice my CPU, RAM, or Video card for two monitors. What good is the second monitor if you can push your data to it efficiently?

parkr4st
2006-01-28, 10:17 AM
By all means, go for it. Just means the video card needs two outputs and even if the cpu is a little slower you will gain productivity by being able to see more at once. But tell the boss if they're serious about your work the budget per station should be about $3K minimum to buy you some up to date decent hardware to make you more productive.

Baron Blades
2006-01-30, 03:43 PM
My department has decided to get some new systems for inventor. Our IT guy is pushing to get us 2 monitors. My thinking is that on their limited budget ~1500$ the cost of the second monitor is better served in upgrading the CPU, RAM, and video card. Can anybody tell me which answer is true?
I use 2 monitors and love it. The only caveat to that is if your cpu can't push it all, then having 2 monitors is pointless. It really just depends on what type of applications you're using. I use Inventor and can open my content center or move toolbars off to my second monitor to free up workspace. Whatever you do, be sure you get a video card that will handle all your application's needs as well as handling 2 monitors, otherwise the dual monitors will be more trouble than they are worth. Just my opinion though. Hope this helps.

aalexander
2006-01-31, 04:58 PM
It's definitely worth it. With dual monitors you're not so crowded, and don't have to constantly swap one application on top of another. I often model a part in Inventor on one monitor while having the AutoCAD drawing of the part on the other monitor.

I wish my IT group offered upgrades like this, I had to bring in a spare LCD monitor from home to use at work, see attached.

bweir
2006-02-08, 09:18 PM
I've use a dual monitor in the past and would agree that placing one app in each is worth it. However I have also found that I can get a good size wide screen monitor which will give me roughly the same functionally with less cost.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-02-09, 01:47 PM
Can you send some more pictures? I am trying my hardest to get the IT department here to get me a second monitor. They cannot imagine what I would use it for.....grrrrrrr.
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to ALT+Tab over to a spreadsheet while working. I also would love the ability to view my electronic markups on a second screen.

I need AMMO!!!!!!

Bunny
2006-02-10, 10:39 PM
Yes, you can golf in the snow... You have to use red balls... Come to Montana sometime...

Baron Blades
2006-02-24, 08:36 PM
While this is possibly a little off topic, I noticed you're using a left hand mouse in addition to your standard mouse. If you don't mind, I'm curious as to what brand/type it is. I use a Spaceball from 3D Connexion and would thoroughly hate life without it. I've been looking to upgrade to their next step up, so I was wondering what you're using and how you like it?

It's definitely worth it. With dual monitors you're not so crowded, and don't have to constantly swap one application on top of another. I often model a part in Inventor on one monitor while having the AutoCAD drawing of the part on the other monitor.

I wish my IT group offered upgrades like this, I had to bring in a spare LCD monitor from home to use at work, see attached.