PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Generic models

jv3dcad
2006-01-25, 09:20 AM
Today we noticed that in a model all the instances of a family were gone. There is a plot from Friday where they were all there. The family and the type are still in the browser family-list as well. We are trying yo find out what happened, but I m interested if anyone here experienced the same.

Jeroen

luigi
2006-01-25, 10:49 AM
Today we noticed that in a model all the instances of a family were gone. There is a plot from Friday where they were all there. The family and the type are still in the browser family-list as well. We are trying yo find out what happened, but I m interested if anyone here experienced the same.

Jeroen
Can't say if I remember that happening or not. I would check all the backup files to see if one of them contains the family in the proper place. It sounds like someone changed a parameter type that caused the family to not be placed in host properly...if it was hosted. A user might of received a warning that was casually accepted, and all the families disappearing from the project.

I hope you find out what happened, and share it hear for all to learn from.

Take care,
Luigi

sbrown
2006-01-25, 06:59 PM
If someone right clicked on an object and chosed select all instances and deleted that would get rid of all of them, select all is not view specific, so it has been know to cause this kind of user error.

jv3dcad
2006-01-26, 08:00 AM
I think i found out what happened. It is a floor-based family. So when you delete the floor all the elements based on that floor are deleted as well. The thing is that you can't place a floor-based element outside a floor. But once placed it is possible to move the element outside the floor. You can also edit the outline of the floor so that the elements are outside the boundary of the floor they are originally placed on. When you delete the floor later you loose the elements without any warning and (in this case) without noticing while they are not on the visible part of the screen.

Gr. Jeroen

Elmo
2006-01-26, 09:49 AM
Glad to hear that you figured it out. That's also a pity that these families did that. Have you considered maybe making those families into non- floor based families?

jv3dcad
2006-01-26, 10:13 AM
In fact i prefer families that aren't host-based. This happened in a model someone else has built. He placed the elements on the floor, and later he changed the floor boundary without changing these elements.
In general i think this is little problem in Revit, sometimes things are happening outside the screen view without any warning. It makes it difficult to work in a model someone else has built. Same kind of thing happened with a family in a group that was wall-based, and the wall it was placed against wasn't in the group. In 95 % it works ok, but the 5 % is a real pain in the ......

Gr. Jeroen