PDA

View Full Version : Scaling views to a small sheet

jrichardson
2006-01-25, 06:15 PM
Is it possible to scale down a view with out the annotation maintaining its size. I would like to take a plan and put it on a 11 x 17 sheet. When I scale the view down so it fits on the sheet the text and grid bubbles display to big. Almost as if I were to have a full size 42 x 30 sheet and print it to an 11 x 17. Is this something easy to do, or can not be done?
At this point I am not necessarily worried about having the annotation legible.

jbalding48677
2006-01-25, 07:05 PM
I usually just plot to fit on a 11x17 sheet. Does that work for you?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-01-25, 07:51 PM
Just scale the plot not the view. It's in the Print Setup dialogue.

jrichardson
2006-01-25, 07:57 PM
My title block size in Revit Would be 11 x 17 or 8 1/2 x 11. My view would be such that it is to large to fit on the sheet. Say I have a detail that needs to get issued on a fax-able sheet size and it is to large to fit on a sheet, but comes from one of my cd document 42 x 30 sheets. I would like to scale it to fit to the small sheet size without the annotation text maintaining 3/32". I would want the text to scale down with the detail. thanks,

Rhythmick
2006-01-25, 09:27 PM
Perhaps its more work than you were hoping, but you can always duplicate with detailing the view, change the duplicate view scale, then filter select and change the text size to suit. Or just delete the text if not needed on the duplicate view.

cosmickingpin
2006-01-25, 09:45 PM
again probably a lot of extra work, but export the view to CAD, then link or import the cad file to a drafting view, and place than imported view onto a sheet with the right title block. That way everything, including annotations will scale down. Then to update just re-export the cad file.

DaveP
2006-01-25, 10:17 PM
Hey, Jamie. Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you're looking for the same thing I was a while ago
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10080&highlight=small+sheet+addenda
That link was just after Revit 7 came out. Wasn't anything in 7 or 8.:mad:
I'm hoping that 9, with it's (alleged) emphasis on Drafting is going to finally fix this.
It's a big problem with post-CD documentation :banghead:

jrichardson
2006-01-26, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the thread Dave and the others for your comments. A lot of good ideas that I have not come across yet. Hopefully the next release of RB and RS will deal with this issue. Exporting to AutoCAD was a thought of mine, but I am really trying to move forward in Revit with the idea that I do not have to use AutoCAD as a crutch for Revit.

BWG
2006-01-26, 02:56 AM
Why not just do what HCSL showed you. Seems like it would work fine. Just need to figure out what scale you want and adjust the percentage to accomodate. Or just choose fit to scale. Unless your details are annotated on the sheet and not in its own view.

Arnel Aguel
2006-01-26, 03:37 AM
Why not just do what HCSL showed you. Seems like it would work fine. Just need to figure out what scale you want and adjust the percentage to accomodate. Or just choose fit to scale. Unless your details are annotated on the sheet and not in its own view.

I don't think it would work that way because when you want your details to fit in a small paper you will most likely use a bigger scale which in turn makes your text,level head, section head etc also bigger.

Duplicating views then changing size of annotations might be the easiest way i guess aside from exporting to ACAD.

funkman
2006-01-26, 04:51 AM
I would still like the ability to paste views onto more than one sheet.

Perhaps with the affected sheet names in the project browser displayed in red or bold to highlight this fact. Also, Browser Organisation options could add "Views on more than one sheet".

Gadget Man
2006-01-26, 10:33 AM
"Views on more than one sheet".
This would definitely have my vote! Simple and logical!

Lashers
2006-01-26, 11:01 AM
Dimitri from HCSL has it right, if all you want is to print the sheet on a smaller sheet of paper, then it is easy just the define the new sheet size and print to fit! If a particular scale is required the same thing, but you have to calculate the reduction precentage and use the print to scale box defining the precentage reduction! EG: My A1 sheets if reduced to 48% print perfectly on A3 - good for discussion etc. but not for scaling dims.

Lashers
2006-01-26, 11:06 AM
I find the current system logical - the fact that you may want to use the same view on a different sheet would also indicate to me (in my little brain) that you want to add/remove some detail or note towards a new purpose. Therefore it is sensible to create a new view reference to do this - keeps the information ordered and easy to refer back to in the future - not having to work out turning on and off layers as in some other programs . . . .

jairo.medina
2006-01-26, 11:57 AM
Just scale the plot not the view. It's in the Print Setup dialogue.

Use: File, Print, Setup, Select your paper size, Zoom: Fit to Page

This will scale the text and the drawing to fit your paper size

Rhythmick
2006-01-26, 01:47 PM
The scale to fit option would work if you wanted to send the sheet through the printer twice - once for the title block and again for the drawing. Not a bad option if you are just needing to print it a time or two. To set it up as a separate sheet in the project browser (with titleblock) I've been using the duplicate view method.