PDA

View Full Version : How to Import Details Library from CAD?

rebecca
2006-01-26, 11:10 PM
How do I import all of our standard construction details from Microstation into Revit so that the details are available to load into each new Revit project as needed to then be modified as project specific? Basically I would like a master library of standard details that all users in my office can access, but not accidentally erase or modify and overwrite.

Currently I am creating Drafting Views in a project, and copying and pasting details imported into Revit into the Drafting Views. The Drafting Views are great because they are then able to be referenced by callouts. But this has to be done for each project. There must be a better way.

Secondly--if i do end up modifying a standard detail within a project, and then decide to add it to the standard detail library, is there a best way to do that?

aaronrumple
2006-01-26, 11:34 PM
If they really are standard and use on every project - put them in your template. For that matter they can already be on sheets and ready to print. If the template is read only on the server - the standard details are only modifiable by those with rights.

Other people use groups and save the groups out to the server. However groups are difficult to preview and you have to load them to see them. Groups are easily moved from project to project.

Others like to put the whole detail in a detail family. Then you can load it like any other component. Again these could be in your template. However to modify the detail you would have to edit the family. This is good because it deters casual changes. But is does slow editing.

rebecca
2006-01-27, 12:17 AM
There are hundreds of standard details from which we draw several needed for a specific project. Some we use as-is, and some need to be manipulated for that project.

I am pretty new to the use of templates.

So--would I, for example, open a new blank project using our "Commercial Project" template, create a Drafting View for each of our standard details, arrange them on Sheets, and then save as a new "Commercial Project" template, overwriting the first template?
Then the next time I start a project, I use that "Commercial Project" template, and delete the Drafting Views and/or Sheets that are not relevant to that project, and modify those that require it?

(I like the last idea you wrote about creating detail families that could be loaded into a project as needed from a family library, but then it could not be referenced by a section detail or callout in the way a Drafting View can be referenced, to my knowledge)

aaronrumple
2006-01-27, 01:39 AM
You'll still need to place the detail componet in a drafting view to place it on a sheet. You're right on target with the concept of using a template. In fact you can have sheets set up, named and waiting for plans, sections and everything else. My template has about 25 sheets in it already started....

rebecca
2006-01-27, 04:45 PM
Thank you!

erikbjur
2006-01-27, 04:51 PM
Others like to put the whole detail in a detail family. Then you can load it like any other component. Again these could be in your template. However to modify the detail you would have to edit the family. This is good because it deters casual changes. But is does slow editing.

I could not find a detail family. Did you mean a detail component family? I can add text but the text can't have a leader. Am I doing something wrong? I was planning on creating a bunch of detail views but I was told that adding all of those lines slows down revit. Is that true? Thanks for your imput.