PDA

View Full Version : "Select Objects" options

sinc
2006-01-27, 04:09 PM
There are many options for selecting objects. All of these options are generally available for every command that displays a "Select objects:" prompt. You can type "?" (a question mark) at the prompt to see all the options. A complete description of each option is given in the Autocad help for the "SELECT" command.

The highlights:

Type WP to use a "Window Polygon" to select. This lets you draw an irregularly-shaped area, and all objects that are completely inside the polygon are selected.
Type CP to use a "Crossing Polygon" to select. Similar to a Window Polygon, except it also selects all items that are crossing the edge of the polygon, even if they aren't completely contained inside the polygon.
Type F to use a "Fence" to select. You are prompted to draw a polyline, and all items touching the polyline are selected.

Also note that you can type R to switch to "Remove" mode. This works kind of like holding down the SHIFT key, except it lets you use the other options to remove items from a selection set. So, for example, you can select all objects in an entire area. Then hit "R" to switch to "Remove" mode, and then use a Fence selection to remove certain items from your selection set. Typing A will return you to "Add" mode.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-01-27, 05:41 PM
This is a good tip. I am not quite sure what I would use it for.
I am guessing that you can select objects in an L shape pattern.

andy.manninen
2006-01-27, 05:45 PM
These are great for trimming and extending! Selectivity is key! Thanks!

sinc
2006-01-27, 11:24 PM
This is a good tip. I am not quite sure what I would use it for.
I am guessing that you can select objects in an L shape pattern.
Knowledge of these options can come in handy very frequently.

For example, ever need to select a bunch of objects along side a road that runs diagonally up the screen, but that rectangular selection box goes the wrong way? Well, use a Fence or Polygon Selection. Much better than selecting them all one at a time, or using a series of long, narrow rectangular selections, or applying a DV-TWIST just to select some objects.

In short, these options come in very handy for picking objects out of a cluster, and only selecting the ones you want, without having to click on a bunch of objects individually.

de-co1
2006-01-30, 09:39 AM
I do like these hotkeys. It does frustrate me to no ends when I see a user picking loads of individual items surrounding something they want, instead of simply removing that selection... trimming and extending too...

:banghead: