PDA

View Full Version : Export 3D to DWG - No surface patterns?

Martin P
2006-01-30, 12:44 PM
To get a 3d DWG file - I go to the default 3D view and export - when I open it in autocad there are no surface patterns?? is this a bug or something it is meant to do - can I make Revit export them?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Martin.

luigi
2006-01-30, 01:32 PM
To get a 3d DWG file - I go to the default 3D view and export - when I open it in autocad there are no surface patterns?? is this a bug or something it is meant to do - can I make Revit export them?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Martin.Autocad doesn't really easily support surface patterns (hatches) on solids, nor 3dfaces. So the 3d export won't have that info in the acad model.

If you would export a 2d representation of the 3d model to autocad, then the surface pattern will be visible as hatches....but you knew that already....

Sorry,

Martin P
2006-01-30, 01:49 PM
That is a nighmare..... we promised a client something we now cant deliver :( just lines would have done fine!!

aaronrumple
2006-01-30, 02:36 PM
You need a static 3D image or one you can rotate? (What is the deliverable?)

Martin P
2006-01-30, 05:07 PM
We were putting on some basic stripped out DWG 3D blocks onto a large site plan- the houses all have vertical & horizontal cladding (timber) as well as areas of rende. So the surface patterns were a bit important!

Decided not to bother now and just do a flat 2d plan :(

aaronrumple
2006-01-30, 05:25 PM
You could have imported the site to Revit and then done a export as flattened perspective which would have the textures.

Martin P
2006-01-31, 12:17 PM
You could have imported the site to Revit and then done a export as flattened perspective which would have the textures.

Ah but - the site plan is being done by another firm, (with Autocad) we promised 3D blocks for them to use on the site plan......never mind, we just wont have a 3d site to show the client. Shame really...

twiceroadsfool
2006-01-31, 02:51 PM
I dont know that this will work, but seems a good time to ask... Can you import the other firms 3d autoCAD site in to revit? And set it around your revit building?

The only 3d CAD importing ive done so far is cars, so im not sure if it works...

aaronrumple
2006-01-31, 03:00 PM
Ah but - the site plan is being done by another firm, (with Autocad) we promised 3D blocks for them to use on the site plan......never mind, we just wont have a 3d site to show the client. Shame really...
Where is the other firm headed with the drawing? I would think they would want to use Viz or Max for rendering it up(?)

Martin P
2006-01-31, 05:15 PM
No nothing as fancy as that, quick and basic was the plan, we were half talking about just putting it into sketchup and applying the wiggly effects - or even just wiggling it in autocad with a lisp routine we have. Was more of a sketch layout - but as its such a big site we wanted to show it in 3D.

importing the site plan and doing it on revit would work (if we stripped out some models etc as there are loads of houses) - but would mean we were doing a lot of work in Revit!!

the plans was that as they did the site plan the 3D views would take care of themselves with these blocks...