PDA

View Full Version : 3D MEP software that best compliments Revit Building

kimudang
2006-01-30, 03:31 PM
Good morning folks,

During a meeting this morning, I spoke with some of my peers about utilizing Revit more in the office. I work in an A/E firm which currently uses Autocad for all daily cad production but the question came up about the following:

The MEP engineers in my office liked what Revit can do but were discouraged about the fact that there is no MEP equivilent at this time (other than Revit Structure, we do not have any structural engineers in our office.)

Is there a MEP Revit package in the works? If not, what software application would most benefit MEP engineers who need to draw in 3D and at the same time be compatible with Revit Building on a daily basis? Assuming the architectural department starts to use Revit exclusively.

We do pharmaceutical and industrial type work, ranging from 10,000-90,000 s.f. projects.

Any help would be great.

aaronrumple
2006-01-30, 04:06 PM
Maybe the easter bunny will bring them something...

Scott D Davis
2006-01-30, 04:18 PM
It's pretty widely known that Revit Systems is in the works as an MEP solution on Revit. We expect to see it sometime this spring.

janunson
2006-01-30, 06:13 PM
No MEP available YET... but even if your M&E guys draft lines into views the way they do in AutoCAD, you'll still all benefit from the live drawings, cross referencing, and constraints Revit offers. Besides, most drafting is faster in Revit than AutoCAD once you have your symbols set up.

David Haynes
2006-01-30, 07:18 PM
Here is a slide the was presented at last month at the Sacramento Revit User Group. It gives some of the options available right now

Hope this helps....

janunson
2006-01-30, 08:11 PM
Again - I'd add a 4th option to that slide - Do your drafting in Revit building.

MikeJarosz
2006-01-30, 08:16 PM
At this years' AU in Orlando, Carol Bartz in her keynote speech mentioned that Revit MEP was in the works (after suitable disclaimers were read by Carl Bass).

One thing I can tell you all, is that Jaros Baum and Bolles, the MEP engineers for the Freedom Tower took plain vanilla Revit and drew some pretty amazing pipework, valves, ducts, fans and other MEP paraphanalia. Just envisioning all that stuff in 3D is a big step forward.

True, it didn't do any computations, and the families didn't have the intelligence of native MEP objects, but the results were pretty impressive. I know they were thrilled with it.

My advice is to sit tight. The Easter bunny IS coming.

geos.td394500
2013-06-26, 02:48 PM
Good morning folks,

During a meeting this morning, I spoke with some of my peers about utilizing Revit more in the office. I work in an A/E firm which currently uses Autocad for all daily cad production but the question came up about the following:

The MEP engineers in my office liked what Revit can do but were discouraged about the fact that there is no MEP equivilent at this time (other than Revit Structure, we do not have any structural engineers in our office.)

Is there a MEP Revit package in the works? If not, what software application would most benefit MEP engineers who need to draw in 3D and at the same time be compatible with Revit Building on a daily basis? Assuming the architectural department starts to use Revit exclusively.

We do pharmaceutical and industrial type work, ranging from 10,000-90,000 s.f. projects.

Any help would be great.

We have used several software, including AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP,

however, for the userfriendly interface, ease of application, drawing and recalculating, automatic sizing according to limits you enter,
MagiCAD of FINLAND has proved to be best software available so far on the market.
It is also BIM Compatible and provides lean, agile solutions to complex MEP design problems.

Most important for us, on Revit or AutoCAD bases, which ever version you use when you've done drawing,
and you want to send to your client or Designer, for checking, eveluation or final submittal,
they do not need to have MagiCAD,
you can just explode the MagiCAD drawing and simply save it as regular *.DWG or *.RVT format, respectively

if you like to know more details

their website is magicad
the distributor we bought from is

magicadproje.com

you can communictae to them directly,
if you wish.

Cheers

MikeJarosz
2013-06-28, 04:52 PM
WOW! Reading my own comments from seven years ago. The WTC is topped out and interior MEP well under way.

That Bunny finally did arrive, and had Revit MEP in its basket. Right now I'm looking at piping and ductwork for a project in Massachusetts, all done in Revit. With clash detection, no less! That wascally wabbit had bunnies and the bunnies had more bunnies.

When do we get civil?