PDA

View Full Version : 2D output for plan (symbols) from model

taltre
2004-04-08, 12:57 AM
I am considering migrating to Revit. However, I am wondering just how 2D the output from Revit can be. Specifically, can I model my project (and get great 3D renders!) and also get traditional 2D plans for the contractors? I've seen great sections and elevations from Revit, but what about plan view symbols? For example, if I have a 3D tree, can I have it show up as a tree symbol in the plan view? Please look at my drawings that I have included (the DWF is done in Autocad, the JPG is a model done in FormZ with all the foliage added in Photoshop). Can Revit be set up to automatically substitute a symbol for a 3D element? Or maybe I can have the symbol and the 3D element occupying the same location and supress one or the other depending on the view? (I would prefer to be able to set up an automatic substitution.) I would prefer not to see the top of a 3D tree in my plan views. An architect told me that Revit has great drafting tools. Is this true? Can I really produce the kinds of drawings that I want to (see attached DWF)? Can I actually get from a 3D model (see JPG) to a plan view (see DWF)?

I would love to use Revit as it appears to be a real time saver (I only have to draw a project once, instead of drafting and modeling it separately). Can anyone offer some advice?

BTW, I am a landscape desiger. I plan to use Revit for not only quick house modeling, but also all of the hardscape in the landscape designs (arbors, patios, planters, retaining walls, water features, and hopefully trees and shrubs).

Thanks,
Jacob Baron-Taltre

beegee
2004-04-08, 01:44 AM
Jacob,

Some of your questions have been covered in this thread (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3302&highlight=)

Specifically, can I model my project (and get great 3D renders!) and also get traditional 2D plans for the contractors?
Yes, certainly.

if I have a 3D tree, can I have it show up as a tree symbol in the plan view?
Yes you can. Trees in the stock families supplied already are set up this way. You can change the 2D plan representation to your own symbol.

Can Revit be set up to automatically substitute a symbol for a 3D element?
Yes, thats what is most often done.

Or maybe I can have the symbol and the 3D element occupying the same location and suppress one or the other depending on the view?
Yes, you could do that if you wanted.

An architect told me that Revit has great drafting tools. Is this true?
Yes, most people prefer to draft in Revit rather than Autocad, once they're used to it.

Can I actually get from a 3D model (see JPG) to a plan view
Yes, thats what Revit is all about.

The only real way is to see for yourself. Download a fully functional demo version and play around with it.

Good Luck.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-04-08, 02:45 AM
Jacob,

I have an Landscape architectural background, but never worked as landscaper designer in the real world, not have I used revit specifically for planting plans, etc. However, in addition to the things begee mentioned, I think you will also find great value in revit scheduling abilities, you can build a "live" plant list with any additional information you need, including quantities. Same holds true for other site components such as parking spaces, benches, etc.

Hardscaping data, such as perimeter and square footage, can also be extracted and scheduled depending on how you create it.

Issues that I think you may run into:

While the accurender plant editor has a ton of plants, There is a lack of extensive planting symbol content, so you have to import or make you own.
I do think the ground cover could be issue depending on what you are after.
Placing curbs on toposurfaces can be problematic.
Hatch patterns will have to be imported (not hard) if the defaults lack what you need.

Your best bet is to try it out, then ask a ton of questions here, and we'll set you straight.:wink:

hth,
Z.

beegee
2004-04-08, 03:12 AM
However, in addition to the things begee mentioned, I think you will also find great value in Revit scheduling abilities, you can build a "live" plant list with any additional information you need, including quantities. Same holds true for other site components such as parking spaces, benches, etc.

Just to add some fuel to Chris's point, this is a planting schedule we did recently in Revit. The count of plants is automatic and an invaluable time saver as you would appreciate.

( No, we're not landscape architects, this was done as a favour for a good client. :wink: )

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2006