PDA

View Full Version : Default Clip Offset

cphubb
2006-01-30, 09:10 PM
When I create new sections and elevations the clip offset comes in with large clip offsets. It seems smaller sections actually create larger clip offsets. I just created a 3' long wall section and the offset was 700+ feet away. How do you control this. We always have to zoom waaaaaaaaaaay out and move the clip back in many times zooming intermittently because we are too far away to make the depth 1'. Alternatively we open the property page and set the clip depth.

Any suggestions?

David Haynes
2006-01-30, 09:42 PM
My experience with this is that Revit is trying to guess where the end of the model is (anticipating that you want the depth of the cut to be the depth of the building (same for width of a section). This is worsened when you have a small section or elevation on a large building.

Hope this helps some.

rod.74246
2006-01-31, 08:27 AM
Just a quick question. Do you have normal sections and detail sections? I have noticed that the crop and clip planes for standard sections stretch to the rest of the model however the detail ones always crop to the nearest boundary (ie wall etc) and stay set to the length of the section tail. Same with the difference with elevations and internal elevations.

I have no idea what the difference in the settings are, nor how to change them or get them back if you lose them. The standard default template has the two types, however how the settings are set up or can be altered i have never been able to figure out. The view tag settings will only allow you to change heads etc.

If anyone knows a bit more about the different section and elevation types i would lovve to hear more, But the different types always seem to have different clip planes at least but i definitely know using a different "type" of system family. "Detail View" rather than "ection" changes the clip plane default.

cphubb
2006-01-31, 03:55 PM
We are using both detail and full sections. Both seem to exhibit the same behavior.

The funny part is that the distance of the far clip seems to fluctuate. As an experiment I cut a section and got a clip of 473' 6 1/2". Erased that section and cut another in the same general location and direction and got 765' 1 1/2".

The problem really confuses me.

janunson
2006-01-31, 04:07 PM
quick way to change this is to go the the view properties of the section view and change the clip depth there.. then you don't have to do the zooming exercize.

cphubb
2006-01-31, 09:15 PM
We are doing that, but we would like the sections to be created with a reasonable clip distance. Maybe proportional to the length of the section line.

janunson
2006-01-31, 10:04 PM
Look at view templates - perhaps create a view template for sections that includes a clip depth of something like 10' and make that the default view template for sections. HTH.