PDA

View Full Version : DWG Import

sjsl
2006-01-30, 09:58 PM
We are trying to create a new titleblock for our company, unfortunately we are unable to import our new logo into the family editor for the titleblock. It's either some ActiveX thing, or will center on the moon or it just plain rfeuses top bring it in.
We've tried it as an image direct ffrom acad and it copies the whole screen, great.

kpaxton
2006-01-30, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what's going on either, but try making a copy of your image at a base resolution of 72 dpi. This seems to be the default import setting, with no way of modifying it directly. Also make sure your image is at a real size setting (i.e: 4" x 4") or something like this. IF you can see this one, then you know your resolution is causing it to be huge and not show up - and you'll have to hunt for it.

I import client's logos all the time for our presentation titleblocks and don't have any problems.

Let us know!
Kyle

cosmickingpin
2006-01-30, 10:27 PM
What kind of file is this?
If it is a *.tif or some other unsupported file type you may need to convert it to something else like *.jpg, or something. All not hard to do.
Just post the file name including extension, and that should lead to the cause.
It has to be in RGB mode FYI, you might check that too...
This is an image file we are talking about right?

We are trying to create a new titleblock for our company, unfortunately we are unable to import our new logo into the family editor for the titleblock. It's either some ActiveX thing, or will center on the moon or it just plain rfeuses top bring it in.
We've tried it as an image direct ffrom acad and it copies the whole screen, great.

sjsl
2006-01-30, 11:45 PM
It's just a simple dwg titleblock that we are trying to port over to Revit. Some good ideas to try here. Will let you know how I make out.

I guess there are two things that need to happen. when we create a new titleblock sheet in Revit and try to import our existing dwg titleblock we get those error messages.

Trying to export the titleblock out of acad into a Revit family seems to have some problems.

I don't have problems bringing in say a jpeg or bitmap of a logo just those straight from acad.

truevis
2006-01-31, 12:24 AM
How about save-as R12 .DXF, then import to Revit? That format removes a lot of ACAD cleverness.

rmcelvain.103137
2006-01-31, 12:50 AM
Could you post the problem DWG file? You might try deleting your existing layout tabs (assuming your TB is in model space)....

sjsl
2006-01-31, 02:40 AM
I'll have to post tomorrow morning.

rod.74246
2006-01-31, 08:12 AM
If you are using the ACAD title block don't actually import the whole thing. Just take the logo by itself. Clean it up in ACAD first before you try to import it as you often generate quite a few errors, particularly with ACAD drawings that have a lot of small curves and lines.

Also make sure the logo isn't a block. Separate it and explode it into its base linework and you will find it works a whole lot better.

However, on another note. Forget the idea of using ACAD drawings as your title block unless you really feel a need to do it that way. If you import the thing, the linework does get very cumbersome and really chews up a lot of memory in your titleblock family. You will also continually have problems if it is hatched etc.

A lot of this compares a lot with how complicated your logo is of course.

You will get much better results by importing the logo as raster image and scaling it up or down to suit your title sheet.

sjsl
2006-01-31, 03:44 PM
Yes, we have given up on importing a dwg titleblock to trace. It won't take long to recreate it. And our graphics dept has given up their raster logo for us and all is well. Thanks for all of the advice it always helpsd to get a 3rd and 4th opinion.IMB