PDA

View Full Version : 3d levels, is it possible?

AP23
2006-01-30, 10:40 PM
How do you make the levels visible in 3d? I know you can make grids in 3d visible by exporting it to autocad and back into Revit, but I'm not sure if you can do that with levels.

Is there also a way to cut a vertical section in two direction?

cosmickingpin
2006-01-30, 11:00 PM
You can do all that with a little image editing via photoshop, as I assume that image was created. But no you cannot screen display that kind of info in 3d. Infact I have created similar images doing exactly that. Would love to show them to you, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Max Lloyd
2006-01-30, 11:08 PM
there is no immediate way to do what you ask. (Nice image btw)

However, with a bit of jiggery pokery (architectural term) it could be acheived. Use model lines, and model text for the annotation. Then, instead of using a 3d perspective section box, which does not enable the cut in 2 directions, simply create a void extrusion to what ever shape you require, that cuts right through your building, thus giving the impression of as sectional view. I have never tried it, but it should work?

Edit, actually, it appears model lines don't render.

SkiSouth
2006-01-30, 11:24 PM
Yep, max is correct. use a void

AP23
2006-01-30, 11:35 PM
The void tool is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it can cut through every building component up to the toilet bowl. BTW, this building was modeled in Archicad, but i don't know if the 3d levels and perspective text were done in Archicad as well. But the two way sections was done using the marque tool. Like in Photoshop, you can move the marque box anywhere in the building.

SkiSouth
2006-01-31, 12:21 AM
yep, no luck on components...

mibzim
2006-01-31, 12:39 AM
Its not quite what you are after, but might help anyway: there was a great tip from way back in revit 7 about creating a 3D section. Its still sitting in the tips & tricks section tho...

Basically you can orient a default 3D view to a section - kinda like mixing and matching the two views:
1. Create a section through the building
2. Open a new default 3D view
3. Go to "view > orient > to other view" and select your section from the list
4. Doesnt look like much yet, but dynamically zoom around the section and hey presto, a 3D section!

Arnel Aguel
2006-01-31, 03:50 AM
Looks like the image was the Eureka tower which was documented in archicad. If that picture was really done in archicad it is very impressive.

j.n.thompson
2006-02-01, 04:05 PM
the model and the section cut can be done in archicad, even the rendered image. but the 2D elements (elevation lines etc.) will not render. its probably rendered in an outside prog like max/viz

luigi
2006-02-01, 05:11 PM
I only wanted to say that, except for the non-linear section cut, all of that can be done using revit in a single rendering.

I don't know if it is worth doing it within one rendering program, but one can model the lines (extruded square) and use model text, etc and the constrain the height of the component to each level of the model. Depending where the section is taken, the component can be moved back and forth to be in the rendering. The other text and notes can all be done with model text, etc.
Not a big deal to do, just the question would remain why model it in the rendering, if it is easily done in a pixel program (photoshop). Also, after the rendering is complete, one doesn't have to use another program, just insert the image into revit and add the lines and text as you wish.

Again, what is the purpose of this thread? 3d levels possibility? No, 3d levels is not possible within the normal commands of revit, but can be done if needed in a different manner....and I am sure the same can be said about using Archicad. One just needs to think outside the box. regardless the software, or selection of software being used.........long long time ago, all this was done by the power of the pencil......

Peace,

luigi
2006-02-01, 05:15 PM
BTW, by paying close attention to the image, which doesn't impress me too much, the 3d level lines have been rendered. The level symbol is an upside down circular base cone. Notice the lower level symbols and the higher ones. That would/could be done as a component withing Revit, including a parameter model text and lines....

Ciao,

cosmickingpin
2006-02-01, 05:43 PM
You are right, in terms of substance, there isn't much there to write home about. The usefulness of such an image is dubious at best, mere eye candy really. Which comes in useful for marketing efforts, which is why I made some similar images. I ended up exporting my sections to cad, then importing them back into the *.rvt in the column line, then simply cut my 3D section on the column line, and everything but the text (column lines, elevations, dimention ticks, etc...) all showed up in 3D, then I added the text back in with photoshop, after rendering out the view, and overlaying a hidden line view. Not brain surgery by any means.

BTW, by paying close attention to the image, which doesn't impress me too much, the 3d level lines have been rendered. The level symbol is an upside down circular base cone. Notice the lower level symbols and the higher ones. That would/could be done as a component withing Revit, including a parameter model text and lines....

Ciao,

archjake
2006-02-01, 06:00 PM
To add levels you can cut your section. turn off everything except the levels and export it as a dwg. Then import the dwg at the section cut.

You will need 2 dwgs if you want something like the image you show.

AP23
2006-02-01, 09:22 PM
Pure for presentation purposes, I wanted to make some two directional sections cuts in combinations with some 3d levels and wanted to know if you can achieve this by a press of a button. It has happened to me before, where I took too many steps and wasted lots of time doing something while it could be done much easier and faster, so that is why I asked.

BTW, I have here some more Archicad images. Most of these could be done in Revit without any problems.