PDA

View Full Version : Call for Entries: 2006 BIM Awards

jbalding48677
2006-01-31, 05:54 AM
For those of you that are interested and did not receive an email on the 2006 BIM Awards, please see attached. DEADLINE 13 March...

mmodernc
2006-02-20, 04:44 AM
Are there any BIMbo awards?

Andre Baros
2006-02-20, 11:58 PM
Did you see last years winner, Arup using Bentley... makes Revit look really basic.

AP23
2006-02-21, 04:52 PM
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/bemagazine/supplement05/index.php

http://www.be.org/en-US/BE+Awards/2005Images.htm

mmodernc
2006-02-22, 04:06 AM
Did you see last years winner, Arup using Bentley... makes Revit look really basic.
but...but...but you can dooo dat in Revit!?

Andre Baros
2006-02-22, 04:22 AM
Yes, I bet you could. I don't think the team of programmers they had working on Microstation just hit the "create building with structure like sponge button" (because it's just an icon that looks like a sponge) but I think that Revit could do it with enough tweaking to some custom families. Next project I get for an Olympic stadium, I'll give it a try.

mmodernc
2006-02-22, 09:20 AM
So that's it-it is a giant sponge to soak up the water from the pool.
Then you get King kong to come along and squeeze it when you want to fill the pool again

Andre Baros
2006-02-22, 12:46 PM
Exactly, the trick would be getting all of the reference planes in the right place so that structural could place all of their beams in the right place, a sort of inverse sponge model.

AP23
2006-02-22, 03:21 PM
I think you would have to make thousands and thousands of family types, because each "bubble is unique. There are few repetition. You also have to make thousands of double curved glass panels, that Revit can't do. You can create the glass panels in any other multipurpose 3d software and import it to Revit but that wouldn't be very efficient. You might as well skip Revit and use other applications, (which might be the main reason why firms like PTC don't and won't use Revit.)

Let's just pretend that Revit can do all of this, then you would have to get pass the lagging issue. With thousand of solids created, you can bet that it will take any pc a half an hour to get your mouse cursor to move form left to right.

PeterJ
2006-02-23, 10:44 AM
I think you would have to make thousands and thousands of family types, because each "bubble is unique. There are few repetition. You also have to make thousands of double curved glass panels, that Revit can't do. You can create the glass panels in any other multipurpose 3d software and import it to Revit but that wouldn't be very efficient. You might as well skip Revit and use other applications, (which might be the main reason why firms like PTC don't and won't use Revit.)
And really that's terrific. If you like Revit and want it to get better then competition is good news. If you don't care for Revit, or are just doing something it's not optimised for then use something else. It's a pretty simple piece of philosophy - 'If it ain't fixed don't broke it' - oh no, thjat was the motto of the bankers behind Enron wasn't it?

Let's just pretend that Revit can do all of this, then you would have to get pass the lagging issue. With thousand of solids created, you can bet that it will take any pc a half an hour to get your mouse cursor to move form left to right.
But the vast majority of software suffers this and you filter views to accommodate lesser geometric complexity and hence better performance. You aren't telling us anything new, again. It just isn't a battle as to whether people use Revit or not.

Andre Baros
2006-02-23, 04:01 PM
Just a note, in an article I read about the Arup sponge last year they pointed out that the building wasn't drawn so much as programed. "Seeing" the program drawn in Microstation required overnight processing. The efficiency came from working with the pure math and no visuals because the regen time was essentially 8 hours. Truly pioneering work with any application but also more than just a drawing exercise.