PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough Camera Heights

Davied2
2006-01-31, 10:44 AM
Am I missing something here ?

When I am creating a camera path for a walkthrough the only way I know how to adjust the height of each path node is to drag it in elevation or 3D.

Is there any way I can just select the required path node / blue circle and enter a height or set a default height to my path?

regards

Dave

Max Lloyd
2006-01-31, 11:24 AM
Just had a quick play. Firstly, as you set the points of your path, you have the option to adjust their height as you are placing them. This will probably do enough for you.

However, if you have already set the path and simply want to adjust it, strangely its not so easy. You can do what you were doing by opening up an ele and dragging the points up and down. Secondly, you can 'open' the walkthrough, and whilst in the perspective view, use the dynamic modify view button ( F8 )and use the dolly command to move that particular frame up and down. However, I have noticed that doing it this way can 'throw' some of your other frames heights.

You would have thought that you could from plan or 3d view, open the path, see the blue node points and right click on them to bring up their properties, then type in a number for the camera height (as you can with a regular camera view). If you can do this, I can't find it!

Max.

(BTW, always good to do a search in the forum to see if stuff has already been covered. I haven't had a chance to read all this, but these (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=382272) are the search results I got when I typed in 'walkthrough height' in the search.

David Haynes
2006-01-31, 06:55 PM
To change the height of the walkthrough path.
Go to an elevation view and you will see the path. Change the Controls in the option bar to bath (you will see blue dots). You will be able to move these dots (which equate to the key frame points). This gives you a graphic way to change the height - I do not know of a way to precisely locate those key frame points after first placing the key frame points.

If you are looking to be more precise, the only way I know is to make sure you pay attention when you place the walkthrough key point height when you click their location.

Davied2
2006-02-01, 01:34 PM
Thanks Both for your suggestion. - I am currently changing heights in 3D and in elevation but was hoping for a hidden way to click on the properties of a key frame and change its elevation by entering a numeric height.

Oh well - I look forward to Revit 9.0

Thanks

David

Steve_Stafford
2006-02-01, 02:07 PM
Have you tried reviewing your walkthough in the views of each keyframe? You can adjust what each keyframe "sees" a little more directly if you do than dragging little blue dots around etc. You need to open the walkthrough view and click on the crop region in the view, choose Edit Walkthrough. Now you can advance the frames, key frame and play the walkthrough.

janunson
2006-02-01, 03:07 PM
Ya editing the path is a pain, especially as it's only visible in the currently active view, so you can't tile plan and elevation and edit smoothly. I'm hoping they do some improving on the keyframing.

The trick Steve suggests is a lot easier - open the actual camera view - go to the keyframe, then pan the view - the keyframe location is adjusted.

iru69
2006-02-02, 04:31 AM
Have you tried reviewing your walkthough in the views of each keyframe? You can adjust what each keyframe "sees" a little more directly if you do than dragging little blue dots around etc. You need to open the walkthrough view and click on the crop region in the view, choose Edit Walkthrough. Now you can advance the frames, key frame and play the walkthrough.
I was just happened to be doing this this evening, but ran into a problem with this method...

I am doing precisely as described - forwarding to a keyframe, making an adjustment using the Dynamic View controls and then forwarding to the next keyframe. However, when I use the dolly to significantly change height, it doesn't seem to "save" the setting - I go on to the next keyframe, but when I return to the one I just adjusted, it's back to the original view setting.

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing here?

Steve_Stafford
2006-02-02, 05:20 AM
I get similar behaviour but notice that the key frame number that is offered varies from those I see when working in plan view and looking at the path. I suspect that may have something to do with it. When I change an actual key frame view it "sticks"...versus the in between views which don't. Don't know if this helps or not.

iru69
2006-02-02, 06:38 AM
Interesting... I was definitely changing the "Key Frame" view (using the forward or backward "Key Frame" buttons) - but I didn't notice whether the key frame numbers in the walkthrough view were matching the key frame numbers in plan view.

Also, if I turned the view or went forward/backward while in the walkthrough view, it stuck, but if I changed the height using the dolly, it didn't stick. I think this must be an "undocumented feature".

I ended up switching to elevation view to adjust camera heights, and then switching back to walkthrough view to adjust the angle of the view.