PDA

View Full Version : Roof Question

olson
2006-02-01, 06:01 AM
This may be redundant, i am trying to get the roof to go uner the soffit of the upper roof.

Scott D Davis
2006-02-01, 06:10 AM
Use the Join Roofs tool in the toolbar. Pick the edge of the roof, then the face of the wall.

mibzim
2006-02-01, 06:51 AM
Scotts reply sorts out your walls and joins them up to the roof, BUT,

If you are talking about drawing a ROOF underneath another roof, you would have to:

1. sketch an entirely new roof for the bit that goes under
2. line up the levels and slopes etc to match the one you have,
3. then use the join geometry tool to tidy it all up

Scott D Davis
2006-02-01, 06:57 AM
Hey, no! That's wayyyyy to much work! Use the Join Roofs tool, in the tool bar at the top of the window, right next to the wall joins tool. Pick the edge of the roof to "tuck under" the other roof, and then pick the face of the vertical wall to join it to. Revit will do what your sketch shows, but without having to draw another roof and get it all lined up and join geomtry, etc.

zanzibarbob7
2006-02-01, 08:25 AM
Scott,

What a great tip. I've been doing it all wrong and making more work for myself. That was the "Tip of the Day" for me.

Thanks,

Max Lloyd
2006-02-01, 08:55 AM
Genius Scott!!

You also inspired me to finally check out the dormer roof opening tool. What a great tool!!!!! Thats going to save me loads of fiddly roof joins!

olson
2006-02-01, 01:30 PM
Thanks that did the trick.

BWG
2006-02-01, 03:27 PM
Scott,

That is going to save me a lot of time. I didn't realize the join roof tool could do that. I have been drawing separate roofs for that.

archjake
2006-02-01, 03:30 PM
Nice. I didn't know join roofs would join the roof to a non roof object. Does it do more than just walls?

janunson
2006-02-01, 03:49 PM
Genius Scott!!

You also inspired me to finally check out the dormer roof opening tool. What a great tool!!!!! Thats going to save me loads of fiddly roof joins!wha?? Ok, maybeimanidiot..but where's this dormer tool??!
Oh, i get it - using the opening tool on a roof?

mibzim
2006-02-06, 04:07 AM
Well i guess someone's gotta stick their head out and look like the fool!

Thanks 4 the great tip scott, it'll save me a stack of time too!

Gadget Man
2006-02-06, 08:04 AM
Of course I didn't know it either - big thanks Scott! But it makes me wander, since so many of us didn't realize this, how many other "pearls" like that is hidden there? This one deserves the "Tip of the Month" title all right!
It gives me a taste of some treasure hunt... :)